Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:21, 4 April 2012 by Greenwellk (after)
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1855--Cherokee County was created 30 August 1855 from unorganized territory. County seat: Columbus 
- Craig County, Oklahoma
- Jasper County, Missouri
- Newton County, Missouri
- Ottawa County, Oklahoma
- Map of Cherokee County townships (Histopolis)
- Cherokee County was organized after the Civil War.
Men from this County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin, Missouri newspapers and Neosho, Missouri newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Cherokee County communities.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).