Chemawa Indian School (Oregon)
A non-reservation boarding school was established at Forest Grove, Oregon in 1880. It was moved to a site north of Salem, Oregon in 1885 and became known as the Salem School. It was also sometimes called the Chemawa School and the name was officially changed to Chemawa in 1939. From 1925 until 1938, this school also had agency duties for the Indians of the Grande Ronde and Siletz Reservations and for non-reservation Indians.
Many of the records of Chemawa Boarding School are at the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle. The records housed there include registers of students, 1880-1920, individual student case files, 1894-1975, graduated student case files, 1900-1975, attendance reports, descriptive statements about students, student health records, teacher and employment cards, and other administrative files.
- Bonnell, Sonciray. Chemawa Indian Boarding School: The First One Hundred Years 1880 to 1980. Universal-Publishers, 1997
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Chemawa Indian School (website)