Chelan County, Washington Genealogy
Guide to Chelan County Washington genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chelan County, Washington|
Location in the state of Washington
Location of Washington in the U.S.
|Founded||March 13, 1899|
|Address|| Chelan County Courthouse|
350 Douglas Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Chelan County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 Chelan County Washington Genealogy References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 13 March 1899 from Kittitas and Okanogan counties
- County Seat: Wenatchee
- "Chelan" derives from a Chelan Indian word meaning "deep water."
- On 14 Dec 1872, a very powerful earthquake centered near Lake Chelan was felt over 300,000 square miles, extending from Victoria, British Columbia south past Baker City, Oregon, and southwest past Portland, Oregon. There are numerous accounts of the quake in historical books and newspapers. It triggered additional quakes at the Yellowstone National Park. Aftershocks were observed for the next 2 years. Additional information
- Neighboring Counties: Douglas | King | Kittitas | Okanogan | Skagit | Snohomish
- Boundary Changes: No new counties created from this county. 
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
World War II Files, 1942-1946
Public Welfare/Social Security Department, (Japanese Internment) Assistance Cases, Evacuee Referrals for Resettlement and Assistance, 1945-1946 from the Washington State Archives – Digital Archives
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Chelan County Courthouse
350 Douglas Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
County Auditor has birth and death records 1900-1907
and marriage records from 1900.
City Clerk has burial records.
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records. 
Family History Centers
- Washington State Digital Archives has a database for Marriage Records.This database is an index to marriage records filed with the Auditor in Chelan County, Washington, from 1900 to 1920. The records contained within this index include Marriage Returns (1900-1910) and Marriage Certificates (1911-1920).
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
- The Chelan County WAGenWeb Project, a member of The WAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Chelan County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Chelan County. (Mirror site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Chelan County.
- Chelan County, Washington Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Chelan County Washington Genealogy References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chelan County, Washington page 732, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.