Cheboygan County, Michigan Genealogy
|Cheboygan County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||April 1, 1840|
|Address|| Cheboygan-County-Michigan-Courts.htm Cheboygan County Courthouse|
870 South Main St.
P. O. Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
Phone: (231) 627-8809
Cheboygan County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records from 1867,
divorce and court records from 1884.
Register of Probate has probate records from 1854.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1854. 
- City: Cheboygan
- Villages: Mackinaw City . Wolverine
- Townships: Aloha . Beaugrand . Benton . Burt . Ellis . Forest . Grant . Hebron. Inverness . Koehler . Mackinaw . Mentor . Mullett . Munro . Nunda . Tuscarora . Walker . Waverly . Wilmot (note: There was Maple Grove, became part of Forest in 1942.)
- Communities: Afton . Aloha . Burt Lake . Elmhurst . Indian River . Mullett Lake . Topinabee
Civil War service men from Cheboygan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Cheboygan County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Cheboygan County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cheboygan County, Michigan page 344, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).