Chautauqua County, Kansas Genealogy
How do I find birth, marriage or death information?
Birth, marriage and death information can be found in vital records. Information about these events may also be found in other records. Registration of births and deaths by the state began in July 1911, marriages in May 1913.
County births and deaths before July 1911
County Marriages before May 1913
State births and deaths from July 1911
State marriages from May 1913
How do I find a map showing where a person lived in the county?
How do I find siblings for a person I know about?
Chautauqua County; 215 N Chautauqua; Sedan, KS 67361; Ph. 316.725.3282 Details: (Reg of Deeds has d & bur rec from 1871, land rec from 1870 & mil rec from 1940; Pro Judge has m & pro rec; Clk Dis Ct has div & ct rec)
1875--Chautauqua County was created 3 March 1875 from Howard (Old) County. County seat: Sedan 
- For information about Civil War records see Howard County.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Chautauqua County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).