Champaign County, Illinois Genealogy
Guide to Champaign County, Illinois ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Champaign County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 20, 1833|
|Illinois Regional Archives Depository, Illinois State Archives|
|Address||Champaign County Courthouse|
101 E. Main Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Champaign County Website
Champaign County OrganizationEdit
Copies of historic Champaign County records are available through the Urbana Free Library as part of the Champaign County Historical Archives. Birth, marriage, death, obituary, newspaper, yearbook, cemetery, probate and other records have been indexed and can be searched at Local History Online. For more information about Champaign County's records, see the Champaign County Courthouse page.
Large numbers of Ohio residents settled in frontier Champaign County, Illinois. The name of the county (Champaign) is reminiscent of Champaign County, Ohio - the previous residence of many pioneer settlers.
- 1790-1801 originally part of Knox, Northwest Territory
1801-1812 St. Clair (Illinois Territory)
1812-1813 Madison (Illinois Territory)
1815-1816 Edwards (Illinois Territory)
1816-1819 Crawford (Illinois Statehood 1818)
1819-1823 Clark County, Illinois
1823-1826 Edgar County, Illinois
1826-1833 Vermilion County, Illinois
For animated maps illustrating Illinois county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Illinois County Boundary Maps" (1790-1869) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Records and ResourcesEdit
The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois has a Champaign County edition. This includes a state history section along with a county history and biographies of Champaign County residents. See the wiki article for links to available copies and indexes.
- Linkpendium has a list of cemeteries transcriptions many done by the Champaign County Genealogical Society.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
For information and tips on accessing census records online, see Illinois Census.
The Champaign County Historical Archives (CCHA) at the Urbana Free Library has hundreds of church record books, membership directories, photos and published books about churches in Champaign County. To search the collections, type the word "Church" in the Historical and Genealogical Search box. Or limit your search to a specific denomination and/or location by including those terms in your search. Some Lutheran church records housed at CCHA are in German.To see those, include the word "German" in your search.
Catholic Churches in Champaign County are part of the Diocese of Peoria.
Church of ChristEdit
Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Baptism Record Extractions, 1874-1927
- Confirmation Record Extractions, 1875-1926
- Marriage Register Record Extractions, 1892-1925
- Burial Register Extractions, 1874-1925
- Records of Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church, Hensley Township, Champaign County, Illinois, 1874-1928. Champaign County Historical Archives; WorldCat
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Index to Baptism Register, 1860-1875,
- Index to Confirmations,
- Index to Marriages
- Index to Burials
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Champaign, Illinois, 1860-1988. Champaign County Historical Archives; WorldCat
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Parish Records of St. Paul's Evangelical Church, 1887-1959. By Wayne M. Fabert WorldCat
St. Paul German Evangelical Church
- Parish records of St. Paul German Evangelical Church, Arcola, Illinois, 1867-1935. By Wayne M. Fabert WorldCat
Evangelical St. Peter's Church
- Index to Confirmations (1866-1915)
- Index to Marriages (1866-1908)
- Index to Burials (1865 to 1905) FHL 1025327 item 3
- Parish Records of St. Peter's Evangelical Church 1865-1943. by Wayne M. Fabert WorldCat
- 1865-1885 - St. Peter's Evangelical Church, Champaign, Baptism Index 1865-1885 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch C730521.
- 1865-1895 - St. Peter's Evangelical Church, Champaign, Marriage Index 1865-1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch M730521.
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
101 E Van Buren St.
Philo, IL 61864
- Parish Records of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church at Philo, Illinois, 1875-1931. by Wayne M. Fabert WordCat
First United Methodist Church
210 West Church Street
Champaign, IL 61820
- Records of the First United Methodist Church , pastors, 1856-2002, marriages 1868-1948, baptisms 1868-1948 and summary church history. by Wilson M. Zaring. WorldCat
- 1870-1904 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Champaign, Baptism Index 1870-1904 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch C730501.
- 1869-1908 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Champaign, Marriage Index 1869-1908 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch M730501.
First Methodist Church, Urbana
- 1877-1895 - First Methodist Church, Urbana, Marriage Index 1877-1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch M730541.
- 1880-1954 - First Methodist Church, Urbana, Baptism Index 1880-1954 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batches C730541 and C734345.
Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church
2201 CR 900 E,
Champaign, IL 61822
- History of Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church, by Phillip R. Francis. WorldCat
Shiloh Methodist Church
352 County Road 2700 North
Mahomet, IL 61853
- Shiloh Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1899-1970. FHL Films 1295957 and 1295958
First Presbyterian Church, Champaign
Other Christian DenominationsEdit
Oak Grove Church
Condit Township, IL
- List of members, minutes of meetings and Sunday School records, 1909-1925. FHL film 1295960 items 7-9
Original court records are held in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk. See Illinois Court Records for more information about using court records.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Family History Library or the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- Court Record 1833-1852, 1857-1872 FHL film 338058 Item 2-3
- Circuit Court Recognizance Record 1869-1877 IRAD (ISU)
Available at Ancestry:
J.S.Lothrop's Champaign County Directory 1870-1871.
Additional directories available at: Linkpendium.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Land and PropertyEdit
Original land records are held in the office of the County Clerk . See Illinois Land and Property for more information about using land records.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through online sources, the Family History Library or the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
Copies of Original Records
- 1833-1927 Deed Index. - Also available through the Family History Library and its Centers FHL film: 1026929 - 1026953
- 1833-1902 Deed Record - Also available through the Family History Library and its Centers FHL Film: 1026954 (first film)
- 1862-1877 Chattel Mortgage Record IRAD (ISU)
- 1959-1965 Chattel Mortgages IRAD (ISU)
- Beginning 1820 Land Patent Search See Illinois Land and Property for more information about this database.
- 1796–1907 U.S. General Land Office Records found at Ancestry.com ($)
- Illinois Public Land Purchase Records This record extract includes over 538,000 land sales from the 19th Century. Each entry includes the purchaser's name, purchase date, number of acres, price per acre, and in some cases the purchaser's sex and residence. Available at www.ancestry.com ($)
- Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
- Champaign County Federal Township Plats
Military History and RecordsEdit
Linkpendium links data to information and records for the Revolutionary War, Civil War, World War I, and World War II.
War of 1812Edit
Black Hawk WarEdit
Civil War service men from Champaign County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Champaign County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company I
- - 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company I
- - 16th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company L
- - 20th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company A
- - 25th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company C, Company G, Company I, and Company K
- - 26th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company F, and Company I
- - 38th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company C.
- - 51st_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company B, and Company E.
- - 67th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K
- - 71st_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company C, Company F, and Company ;H.
- - 72nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, G.
- - 76th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company B, and Company G.
- - 125th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E, Company F, and Company H
- - 133rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K
- - 135th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A, and Company B
- - 154th_Regiment,_Illinois_Infantry, Company A, and Company B
- Behrens, Robert H. From Salt Fork to Chickamauga: Champaign County Soldiers in the Civil War, includes full-name index of 3,200 men. WorldCat 19491556, FHL Book 977.366 M2b
World War IEdit
World War IIEdit
Army Enlistees Alphabetical list - USGenWeb
Army Casualties Part 2 U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit
Original naturalization records are generally held in the office of the County Clerk. See Illinois Naturalization Records for more information about using naturalization records.
The following copies of original records may be accessed through the Family History Library or the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Western Illinois University (WIU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- Circuit Court:
- 1858-1906 Naturalization Records
- 1866-1906 Naturalization Records of Minors
- 1866-1892 Naturalization Records of Soldiers
- 1872-1906 Naturalization Records
- County Court:
- 1860-1902 Naturalization Records
- 1866-1896 Naturalization Records of Minors
- 1866-1889 Naturalization Records of Soldiers
- 1896-1906 Naturalization Decarations of Intent
Family History Library and Centers
- 1858-1906 Naturalization records (Circuit Court) FHL Film 1026928
- 1860-1906 Naturalization records (County Court) FHL Films 338057 - 338058
Ancestry.com ($) has:
- Champaign, Illinois Newspaper Index, 1892 search by name, date and event.
- The Evening Courier: 1935-39 and1941-1944.
Newspaper death notices and obituaries from 1894 to the present are included in the Champaign County Historical Archives, and can be searched on-line using Local History Online. Obituaries are indexed by both a woman’s maiden as well as her married name(s) if that information was included in the obituary. The index covers the following newspapers:
- Urbana Courier - August 1894– March 1979
- Champaign News Gazette - September 1938 – April 2011
Obituaries from other newspapers, including the Champaign County Gazette, Champaign Daily Gazette, Champaign Daily News and others may be included in the index, but those newspapers have not been fully indexed and so may not include every obituary published. Record the surname and document number (circled in red in the image at the left) to use when requesting a copy of the original obituary using the Champaign County Historical Archives’ Record Request form. $
The original files for all known probate cases from 1833 - 1922 are kept at the Champaign County Historical Archives at the Urbana Free Library.
Original estates and wills from 1923 to the present are held in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk. Probate records from 1992 to the present are indexed and available on-line at Champaign County's Public Access Case Lookup System .
See Illinois Probate Records for more information about using probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1772 - 1999 Illinois Wills and Probate Records 1772-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1819 - 1988 Illinois Probate Records 1819-1988 at FamilySearch.org — images
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) at Illinois State University
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU). To see all probate records available for Champaign County, search the Local Government Record Holdings with Champaign County selected and the word "probate" in the title search box. For more information about how to access records held at an Illinois Regional Archive Depository, see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
1835-1976 Probate Record Index
1833-1953 Probate Will Records
1833-1891 Probate Case Files (microfilm copies)
1838-1851 Probate Records 1859-1952 Probate Inventory Record 1864-1943 Probate Appraisement Record 1868-1907 Probate Sale Record, Real Estate 1950-1955 Probate Appraisement Review Record
- Family History Library and Centers
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Family History Library
- 1851-1921 Wills are also available in Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970. Click on the browse through images link, select Champaign County, and select the record type you are interested in.
1833-1948 Probate Will Records (handwritten copies in Will Books)
1833-1922 Probate Case Files (complete, original files)
- IRAD - ISU Holdings
- 1833-1942 Board of Supervisors' Minutes
- 1956-1964 County Officials' Bonds and Oaths of Office
- 1872-1966 Notary Public Registers
- 1916-1922 Optometrist Registers
- 1869-1872 Patent Record, Invention
- 1877-1965 Professional Registers
- 1950-1962 Drainage District Accounts
- 1937-1963 Drainage District Assessment Record, Delinquent
- 1942-1947 Drainage District Bank Books
- 1928-1951 Drainage District Collector's Books
- 1908-1957 Drainage District Collector's Books, Kankakee District
- 1911-1955 Drainage District Collector's Books, Special District
- 1914-1931 Drainage District Ledgers
- County Courthouse
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Champaign County are kept, see the Champaign County Courthouse page.
- Family History Center Find a FamilySearch Center
- Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State University (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System Illinois State University Region
- Public Libraries
Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 367-4025
Fax: (217) 531-7088
Expanding on an index-card based index created in the 1960's and 1970's, the Champaign County Historical Archives located at Urbana Free Library has created an on-line index of Champaign County historical records of genealogical interest called Local History Online. Included are newspaper mentions of birth, marriage and death notices, along with official county records of birth, marriage, death, wills, probate, cemetery and other records. The index includes details (names and dates) that make it easy to identify records of interst.
Copies (non-certified) can be requested using the library's printable PDF Request Form.$
Social Groups OnlineEdit
Champaign County Genealogical Society
201 S. Race St.
Champaign County African-American History Committee
Champaign Park District, Douglass Annex
512 E. Grove
Champaign, IL 61820
IRAD - ISU (Illinois State University)
- 1857-1872 Tax Sale Record
- 1935-1945 Tax Assessment Abstracts
- 1947-1965 Tax Ledgers
- 1906-1964 Collector's Accounts
- 1950-1966 Collector's and Treasurer's Accounts
- 1931-1964 County Annual Audit Reports
- 1948-1965 Treasurer's Ledgers
- 1946-1958 Motor Fuel Tax Allotment Record
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Original birth and death certificates recorded until the year 1916 are kept by the Champaign County Clerk while those recorded after 1916 are kept by the Illinois Department of Public Health with a copy to the County Clerk. Original marriage records are usually kept by the County Clerk from the establishment of the county to the present. Original divorce records are generally in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through online databases, the Family History Library and the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- Birth Record Index- IRAD years unlisted.
- 1878-1901 Birth Record - IRAD (ISU). Also available through FHL Films 1295929-1295930
- 1902-1918 Champaign County Birth Record - indexed in Champaign County Historical Archives Local History Online
- 1940-1946 Birth Certificates - IRAD (ISU) Adoptees. - may be restricted
- 1864-1932 Marriage Record Index. IRAD (ISU)
- 1833-1915 Marriage Licenses. IRAD (ISU)
- 1833-1932 Marriage Record IRAD (ISU) Also available with index through FHL films 338045 first film
- 1878-1973 Marriage License Applications IRAD (ISU)
- 1763-1900 Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- 1790–1860 Illinois Marriage index found at Ancestry.com ($)
- 1805-1985 Illinois, Church Marriages, 1805-1985 at FamilySearch — index
- 1810–1934 Illinois, County Marriages, 1810-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1833-1889 Illinois, Civil Marriages, 1833-1889 at FamilySearch — index
- 1878-1949 Death Record Index - IRAD (ISU) Also available through Family History Library and its centers FHL Films 1032320 first film
- 1878-1901 Death Record - IRAD (ISU) Also available through Family History Library and its centers FHL films 1032316 first film
- 1902-1915 Death Certificates - IRAD (ISU)
- 1986-2001 Champaign County Coroner’s Death Certificates - indexed in Champaign County Historical Archives Local History Online
- 1916-1950 Database of Illinois Death Certificates, 1916-1950
- Pre-1916 Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916
- 1850–1885 U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885 found at Ancestry.com ($)
Societies and LibrariesEdit
The Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801-5326
The Champaign County Historical Archives located at Urbana Free Library offers a variety of resources to new and experienced genealogists, including access to on-line premium genealogy web sites Ancestry.com, Footnote.com, HeritageQuest and WorldVitalRecords, and more than 25,000 books and journals. See Local History Online to search the index of Champaign County birth, marriage, death, probate, burial, yearbook, and other records available through the library.
Family History Center
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Champaign Illinois Family History Center
605 West Windsor Road
Champaign, IL 61820
To learn more about the genealogical resources available at Family History Centers, see Introduction to LDS Family History Centers. For center hours and holiday closure information, see Champaign Illinois Family History Center.
Champaign County Genealogical Society
c/o Champaign County Historical Archives
Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801-5326
Champaign County Historical Museum
102 East University Avenue
The Champaign County Historical Museum is a non-profit organization that preserves and displays artifacts associated with the people and events of Champaign County. Collections include University of Illinois yearbooks, historic quilts, photos and other items that may be of interest to genealogists. The museum is currently closed (as of August 2011) while changes are made to exhibits.
- Champaign County, IL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Champaign County IL Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Illinois Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project for Champaign County, Illinois
- Champaign County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Databases Pertinent to Champaign CountyEdit
- Local Governmental Records Database
- Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
- Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
- Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- Champaign County Fact Sheet, Illinois State Archives, accessed May 25, 2011.
- WorldCat 50140092, FHL Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/1/10/Igiillinoisac.pdf. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "vr1" defined multiple times with different content Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "vr1" defined multiple times with different content