Difference between revisions of "Chambers County, Texas Genealogy"
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
Revision as of 14:31, 15 March 2013
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Chambers County Courthouse
Anahuac, TX 77514
County Clerk has birth records from 1903, death records from 1908,
marriage, probate court and land records from 1875 and divorce records
The first permanent settlement began in 1821 when the Spanish established a fortress at Anahuac and allowed American colonists to enter.
The county was named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, (1802-1865), a lawyer and land speculator, was born in Orange County, Virginia, on April 13, 1802, the youngest of twenty children of Thomas Chambers and the ninth of his second wife, Mary (Gore).
See an interactive map of Chambers County border changes.
1875--Chambers County Courthouse in Wallisville and most, if not all, county records were destroyed by fire on December 2, 1875.
1935--Chambers County Courthouse in Anahuac destroyed by fire on April 28, 1935. All records were saved. 
Places / Localities
Anahuac | Baytown (mostly in Harris County) | Beach City | Cove | Hankamer | Monroe City | Mont Belview | Oak Island | Old River-Winfree | Seabreeze | Smith Point | Stowell | Turtle Bayou | Wallisville | Winnie
- Chambers County Cemetery List from the Chambers County TXGenWeb site
- Anachuac Cemetery - USGenWeb Archives Project.
- Chambers County Cemeteries - Interment.net
- Chambers County Cemetery Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- FindAGrave - transcriptions and photographs of Chambers County cemeteries
Petition of Settlers - TXGenWeb
- Chambers County: A Pictorial History, 1988 by Margaret S. Henson and Kevin Ladd.
- Chambers County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Chambers County Bibliography - TXGenWeb
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Republic of Texas Militia 1842 - TXGenWeb
- Chambers County in the Confederancy - TXGenWeb
- Confederate Pension Applications Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
- Chambers County Marriages - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Chambers County Divorces - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Chambers County Births - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Chambers County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chambers County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Anahuac, TX Chambers County Courthouse Fire, Apr 1935 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/18201/anahuac-tx-chambers-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1935