Carson County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Carson County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Carson County Courthouse
PO Box 487
Panhandle, TX 79068
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1888, divorce records from 1902,
probate records from 1907 and land records from 1883
First settled by Mexican farmers and ranchers in the early 1800's.
Local histories are available for Carson County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
1876--Carson County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Panhandle 
The county was named for Samuel P. Carson, congressman and Republic of Texas secretary of state. (1798-1838). Samuel Price Carson, planter and lawmaker, son of John and Mary (Moffitt) Carson, was born at Pleasant Gardens, North Carolina, on January 22, 1798.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities: | Groom | Panhandle | Skellytown | White Deer |
FindAGrave - cemetery transcriptions and photos for Carson County
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- The Antler 1944 White Deer HS Yearbook - USGenWeb Archives Project
- The Lair 1938 Panhandle High School - USGenWeb Archives Project
- The Lair 1939 Panhandle High School - USGenWeb Archives Project
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carson County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Panhandle Herald
P. O. Box 429
Panhandle, TX 79068-0429
- Amarillo Daily News
- Amarillo Globe-Times
900 S. Harrison
Amarillo, TX 79166
- Amarillo Globe-News
- White Deer News
206 S. Main St.
P. O. Box 728
White Deer, TX 79097
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
- Carson County Births - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Carson County Marriages - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Divorces - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carson County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).