Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Office of the Commissioners of Caroline County
109 Market Street
Denton, Maryland 21629
- Named for Lady Caroline Eden, wife of Maryland's last appointed royal colonial governor, Robert Eden, 1st Baronet of Maryland before he was usurped by the Annapolis Convention in 1776.
- Pig Point was the county seat. The name has since been renamed Denton.
- 1773 Caroline County was created 15 June 1773 from Dorchester and Queen Anne's Counties.
County seat: Denton.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Caroline County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
Church of England
See also St. John's Parish
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Barnes, Robert W., F. Edward Wright, Vernon L. Skinner and Henry C. Peden. Colonial Families of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. 23 vols. Westminster, Md.: Family Line, 1996-2003; Lewes, Del.: Delmarva Roots and Colonial Roots, 2007. FHL US/CAN Book 975.21 D2b v. 1 ff. [Caroline County families appear in Vols. 7 and 11.]
- [Genn] Hillman, Ralph E. "James Genn of Northumberland County, Virginia, and Some of His Descendants," The American Genealogist, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan. 1997):32-38; Vol. 72, No. 2 (Apr. 1997):101-108.
- [Wright] Wright, Charles W. The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico Counties Maryland. Baltimore: Baltimore City Printing and Binding Co., 1907. Available at FHL; digital versions at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
Maryland State Archives has uploaded free images and indexes to the complete series of Caroline County Deed Books (1774-present). Visit their site to find the land records that interest you: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Free registration is required.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Caroline County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Caroline County, pp. 139-140. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Wright, F. Edward Caroline County (Maryland) militia in the War of 1812, (1977) pages 65.
- Caroline County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
-  Caroline County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Caroline County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Caroline County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Caroline County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Caroline County.