Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Office of the Commissioners of Caroline County
109 Market Street
Denton, Maryland 21629
- Named for Lady Caroline Eden, wife of Maryland's last appointed royal colonial governor, Robert Eden, 1st Baronet of Maryland before he was usurped by the Annapolis Convention in 1776.
- Pig Point was the county seat. The name has since been renamed Denton.
- 1773 Caroline County was created 15 June 1773 from Dorchester and Queen Anne's Counties.County seat: Denton.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Caroline County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Genn] Hillman, Ralph E. "James Genn of Northumberland County, Virginia, and Some of His Descendants," The American Genealogist, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan. 1997):32-38; Vol. 72, No. 2 (Apr. 1997):101-108.
- [Wright] Wright, Charles W. The Wright Ancestry of Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico Counties Maryland. Baltimore: Baltimore City Printing and Binding Co., 1907. Available at FHL; digital versions at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
Maryland State Archives has uploaded free images and indexes to the complete series of Caroline County Deed Books (1774-present). Visit their site to find the land records that interest you: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Free registration is required.)
- Caroline County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
- The Caroline County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Caroline County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Caroline County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Caroline County.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].