Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Cape Girardeau County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cape Girardeau County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1812|
|Address|| Cape Girardeau County Courthouse|
1 Barton Square
Jackson, MO 63755
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1893
and land records 1821-1859; County Recorder has
marriage records; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and
court records; Probate Judge has probate records;
Riversize Regional Library has all records on microfilm
Cape Girardeau County predates the state of Missouri which was admitted to the union in 1821. Cape Girardeau was one of the five original districts of the Louisiana Territory from 1805-1812 and one of the five original counties of the Missouri Territory from 1812 to 1821.
1812--Cape Girardeau County was created 1 October 1812 as an original county.
County seat: Jackson 
See an interactive map of Cape Girardeau County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Christ Evangelical Church
- 1891-1914 - Christ Evangelical Church Baptism Index 1891-1914. Batch C726741 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1900-1914 - Christ Evangelical Church Marriage Index 1900-1914. Batch M726741 at FamilySearch - free.
Emmanuel Evangelical Church, Jackson
- 1884-1909 - Emmanuel Evangelical Church, Jackson, Baptism Index 1884-1909. Batch C726701 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1910 - Emmanuel Evangelical Church, Jackson, Marriage Index 1884-1910. Batch M726701 at FamilySearch - free.
St. James Evangelical Church, Tilsit
- 1892-1973 - St. James Evangelical Church, Tilsit, Baptism Index 1892-1973. Batch C726711 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1970 - St. James Evangelical Church, Tilsit, Marriage Index 1892-1970. Batch M726711 at FamilySearch - free.
Salem Evangelical Church
- 1874-1898 - Salem Evangelical Church Baptism Index 1874-1898. Batch C726731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1895 - Salem Evangelical Church Marriage Index 1874-1895. Batch M726731 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Map of Cape Girardeau County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Cape Girardeau County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Cape Girardeau County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War service men from Cape Girardeau County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Cape Girardeau County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery, Battery F.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Cape Girardeau County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
- 1866-1871 - Cape Girardeau County Birth Index, Volume D, 1866-1871. Batch C514722 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1805-1868 - Cape Girardeau County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1805-1868. Batch M514721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1885 - Cape Girardeau County Marriage Books D and E Index 1868-1885. Batch M514722 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1893 - Cape Girardeau County Death Index 1883-1893. Batch B514723 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)