Canwell, Staffordshire Genealogy
CANWELL, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Tamworth, S. division of the hundred of Offlowand of the county of Stafford, 5¼ miles (S. W. by W.)from Tamworth. 
Canwell St Mary, St Giles and All Saints was formed as a parish in 1927.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district may have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district or Cannock Registration Offices and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Canwell was an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information. England Jurisdictions 1851 may be helpful.
Canwell St Mary, St Giles and All Saints was formed from the previously extra parochial area in 1927
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Mar 1927-1994 Other records remain with the incumbent in the parish.
Lichfield Record Office no holdings of Bishop's Transcripts due to extra parochial status
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 501-511. Date accessed: 18 October 2012.