Canada in the War of 1812
The War of 1812 between the United States and Great Britain began formally on June 18, 1812. To end the war, the treaty of Ghent was signed 24 December 1814, however another battle was fought January 8, 1815 at New Orleans, Louisiana, United States.
- Sweeney, Alastair, Fire Along the Frontier Web Resources shows Canadian and American view points and information through Timelines, Videos, Battles, Characters, Print References, Maps, Google Books, and Websites.
- A PBS documentary about the war can be seen at The War of 1812 Website.
Canada Military Units
The military units that fought for Canada included many men enrolled in local militia units. British regular Army regiments with men from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland also fought.
The Wikipedia article, Canadian units of the War of 1812, lists the units with brief descriptions of each.
The provinces that furnished men for the military were Upper Canada (Ontario), Lower Canada (Quebec),
- Queenston, Ontario (British victory) 13 October 1812
- Battle of Frenchtown (Historyofwar.org) (British victory) - 22 January 1813 now Monroe, Michigan on the Raisin River
- Battle of Lake Erie (Wikipedia) (United States naval victory) 10 September 1813
- Battle of the Thames (Wikipedia) (Both sides claimed victory) - Moraviantown, on Thames River, Kent County, Ontario 5 October 1813
- Batle of Lundy's Lane (Historycentral.com) (Both sides claimed victory) - about one mile from Niagara Falls 25 July 1814
- Battle of New Orleans (Historycentral.com) (United States victory) (after peace treaty was signed) 8 January 1815
- Campaigns of the War of 1812-1815, against Great Britain, sketched and criticised; with brief biographies of the American engineers, George W. Cullum,FHL Microfilm 1404257
- .Paine, Ralph Delahaye, The fight for a free sea: a chronicle of the War of 1812 New Haven Connecticut, Yale Univeristy Press, 1920) pagesFHL Book 235 973 H2
- PBS, The War of 1812, has a short video with information about the war. It also has lists of historic sites with short histories of each.
- History.com, War of 1812, has several short videos about the war as well as a brief written histories of the war and a few prominent people.
- Galafilm, War of 1812, has brief histories of events, historical maps, a bibliography, and lists of links to other War of 1812 sites.
- Dudley, William S., The Naval War of 1812: a documentary history(Washington, District of Columbia, Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy 1985-2002). FHL Book 973 M3
- Fredriksen, John C, "Resource Guide for the War of 1812" ([S.l.]: J.C. Fredriksen, c1979) FHL book 973 M23f
- Hickey, Donald R. The War of 1812, a forgotten conflict' (Chicago, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 1989) pages 457 FHL Book 973 H2
- Horsman, Reginald The War of 1812 (New York, New York, Alfred A Knophf, 1969) pages 286 FHL Book 973 H2
- Jacobs, James Ripley and Glenn Tucker, The War of 1812 : a compact history (New York, New York, Hawthorn Books copyright 1969)
- Latimer, Jon: 1812: war with America (Cambridge, Massachusette: Belknap Press, c2007 pages 637 FHL Book 973 M2
- Malcomson, Robert: Historical dictionary of the War of 1812'(Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2006) pages 701 FHL Book 973 H26
- The Wikipedia, War of 1812 Article
- War of 1812 Genealogical Research has links to various War of 1812 web sites.
- Causes and events of the War of 1812: a Timeline - includes political events, military events, and military events in Europe.
- War of 1812 Resources - list of resources available in the Newberry Library.
- Society of the War of 1812 The purpose of this page is to providelinks to other websites that relate to the War of 1812
- Department of the Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command, Officers of the War of 1812, Marine Corps Officers
- Department of the Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command, Officers of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps in the War of 1812
- Olive Tree Genealogy, War of 1812 Genealogy and History
- The Man Who Captured the White House - Brief histories of the activities of General Ross, including the burning of the White House and the events for the writing of the Star Spangled Banner.