Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Camden County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Camden County Courthouse
Hwy 343 P O Box 190
Camden, NC 27921
Clerk Superior Court has divorce Court rececords from 1896
Probate Records from 1912;
Camden County was formed in 1777 from the northeastern part of Pasquotank County. It was named for Charles Pratt, 1st Lord Camden, who had opposed the Stamp Act. The county is the site of the southern terminus of the Dismal Swamp Canal and was the location of the Battle of South Mills on April 19, 1862 during the American Civil War which brought a minor victory to the Confederacy.
Several records destroyed in fire with many others missing.
The County consists of three Townships:
- South Mills
The following sites have listings of cemeteries in Camden County:
- Eastern Shore Chapel Cemetery
- James E. Nash Cemetery
- Archie Sawyer
- Sawyer Cemetery and Sawyer Cemetery 2
- Edwin Ferebee Cemetery
- Hughes Cemetery
- Wesley Methodist Church Cemetery
- Cutrell Family Cemetery
- Brown Family Cemetery
- McPherson-Ferebee Cemetery
- White Oak Hill- Trafton Cemetery
- Gardner Trafton Cemetery
- Gilbert Cemetery
- Hastings Picture Cemetery
- Hastings Cemetery
- Cornelius G. Lamb Family Cemetery
- Lemuel Sawyer Cemetery
- Tarkington Cemetery
- Williams Cemetery
For tips on accessing Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
There has been a Baptist church in Camden from the time the county was organized in 1777.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Camden County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Camden County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1822-1920 - Will Books (1822-1920) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- NCGenWeb Camden County
- Camden County USGenWeb Archives
- Camden County Government Services
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Camden County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:480. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)