Camden County, New Jersey Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
"Making It Better, Together"
Board of Freeholders
Camden County Courthouse
520 Market Street
Camden, NJ 08102
1673-1674: A new war broke out and the Dutch sent a large armada to retake New Netherland for a few months. But as the war ended the colony was ceeded to England for the last time.
- 1871, Monroe twp. & most of Washington twp. to Gloucester County
- 1902, part of Waterford twp. to Burlington County
- 1926, part of Washington twp., Gloucester County added to Gloucester twp. of Camden County
- 1938, boundary with Atlantic County clarified
- 1950, part from Gloucester County
Places / Localities
- Boroughs: Audubon . Audubon Park . Barrington . Bellmawr . Berlin . Brooklawn . Chesilhurst . Clementon . Collingswood . Gibbsboro . Haddon Heights . Haddonfield . Hi-Nella . Laurel Springs . Lawnside . Lindenwold . Magnolia . Merchantville . Mount Ephraim . Oaklyn . Pine Hill . Pine Valley . Runnemede . Somerdale . Stratford . Tavistock . Woodlynne
- Cities: Camden . Gloucester
- Townships: Berlin . Cherry Hill . Gloucester . Haddon . Pennsauken . Voorhees . Waterford . Winslow
- Communities: Ashland . Barclay-Kingston . Blackwood . Cherry Hill Mall . Echelon . Erial . Erlton-Ellisburg . Glendora . Golden Triangle . Greentree . Kirkwood . Sicklerville . Springdale . West Berlin
- Historical Townships: Centre . Clementon . Delaware . Newton . Stockton . Union
Gazetteers of Places/Localities
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Camden County (over 900 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Camden County
- The Camden County NJGenWeb Project, an member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Amandus Johnson, "Detailed Map of New Sweden 1638-1655" in Amandus Johnson's book The Swedes on the Delaware 1638-1664 (Philadelphia: Swedish Colonial Society, 1915), 392.
- "Fort Nassau" in Probert Encyclopaedia of Architecture [Internet site] at http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/T_FORT_NASSAU.HTM (accessed 10 November 2008). "Fort Nassau was a fort erected on the site of the present town of Gloucester, New Jersey by Captain Cornelius Jacobsen Mey, representing the Dutch West India Company in 1623. It was abandoned and rebuilt a number of times, and finally abandoned in 1651."
- "Location of Fort Nassau" in Gloucester County, New Jersey History and Genealogy [Internet site] at http://www.nj.searchroots.com/Gloucesterco/fortnassau.htm#Location (accessed 8 November 2008).
- "New Netherland" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_netherland (accessed 13 December 2008).
- "New Netherland" in Wikipedia.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].