Cambridge, Cambridgeshire Genealogy
CAMBRIDGE, is a university town, the capital of Cambridgeshire. It stands on the Via Devana, the river Cam, and the Eastern Counties railway, 51 miles by road, and 57½ by railway, N by E of London. The railways go from it in six directions, toward London, Hitchin, Bedford, Huntingdon, Ely, and Ipswich, and toward all parts of the kingdom.
Parishes. The parishes are All Saints, St. Andrew the Great, St. Andrew the Less or Barnwell, St. Benedict, St. Botolph, St. Clement, St. Edward, St. Giles, St. Peter, St. Mary the Great, St. Mary the Less, St. Michael, St. Sepulchre, and Holy Trinity.
Other places of worship in 1851 were Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, Latter-Day Saints, and Roman Catholics.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cambridgeshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1. Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London & Edinburgh: 1870 See at: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.