Calvert County, Maryland Genealogy
Guide to Calvert County Maryland genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calvert County, Maryland|
Location in the state of Maryland
Location of Maryland in the U.S.
|Founded||July 30, 1650|
|County Seat||Prince Frederick|
|Address|| Calvert County Courthouse|
175 Main Street
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Calvert County Website
- 1 Calvert County Maryland Courthouse
- 2 Calvert County Maryland History
- 3 Calvert County Maryland Places/Localities
- 4 Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Resources
- 5 Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Websites
- 7 Calvert County Maryland Genealogy References
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court and land records from 1882.
Register of Wills has probate recordfrom 1882,
earlier records available at State Hall of Records. 
Calvert County Maryland History
- Originally named Patuxent County.
- Renamed 22 October 1669 for the Calvert family, the Lords Baltimore, the proprietors of Maryland.
- 1650--Calvert County was created 30 July 1650 from the old Charles County which was created 3 October 1850 and discontinued 28 September 1653. The new Charles County which is located west was created 13 April 1658.
County seat: Frederick.
For animated maps illustrating Maryland county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Maryland County Boundary Maps" (1637-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1882 Courthouse fire destroyed most of the records.<ref>"Maryland Destroyed Courthouses" in My Maryland Genealogy [Internet site] at [ Some deeds from 1840-1882 were re-recorded, also abstracts at Annapolis 1784-1882, and provincial court and land office records were used to reconstruct lost deeds.
For a list of record loss in Maryland counties see: Maryland Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Lost censuses: 1790, 1890
Calvert County Maryland Places/Localities
Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Resources
CemeteriesLDS Cemetery Records
US Vol. 24 page 89 - Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery
Interment.net Cemetery Listings for Calvert County, MD. Includes contact information for many cemetaries in the county and volunteer contributed index lists for many of them.
Federal Census reports available 1800-1930 including slave and veterans schedules. For tips on accessing Calvert County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Calvert County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions.
Church of England
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Abington] Berkley, Henry J. "The Abingtons of St. Mary's and Calvert Counties," Maryland Historical Magazine, Vol. 25 (1930):251-255. FHL Book 975.2 H25m v. 25 (1930).
- [A'Gambra] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60; Vol. 77, No. 1 (Apr. 2001):138-147. FHL 973 D25aga v. 76
- [Allnutt] Allnutt, Ernest C. "William Allnutt and Wife Sarah (Mears) Talbott, Widow of John Talbott of Calvert County, Maryland: The Progenitors of the American Colonial Family of Allnutt with One Line of Their Descendants in Montgomery County, Maryland," Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, Vol. 33, No. 4 (Fall 1992):712-766. FHL CD-ROM no. 9 pt. 208.
- [Barbery] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60; Vol. 77, No. 1 (Apr. 2001):138-147. FHL 973 D25aga v. 76
- [Boteler] Russell, Donna Valley. "The Boteler Family of Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 70, No. 1 (Jan. 1995):9-17. FHL 973 D25aga v. 70
- [Butler] Hoff, Henry B. "Alexander de Hinojosa and His Descendants in Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, No. 4 (Oct. 2004):260-273. FHL 973 D25aga v. 79
- [Duke] Brandenberger, Evelyn Duke. The Duke Family. 2 vols. [Houston, Texas]: E.D. Brandenberger, 1979-1995. FHL Book 929.273 D885b v. 1-v. 2.
- [Hickman] Fay, Mary Smith. "The Three James Hickmans: Identifying Revolutionary War Veterans," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997):52-54. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Hiller] Russell, George Ely. "Hiller and Rosier Families of Virginia," The American Genealogist, Vol. 85, No. 1 (Jan. 2011):9-21.
- [Lamar] Lamar, William Harmong, "Thomas Lamar of the Province of Maryland, and a Part of His Descendants," Publications of the Southern History Association, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Jul. 1897):203-210. Digitized by Internet Archive - free.
- [Lamar] Crozier, William Armstrong. Virginia Heraldica: Being a Registry of Virginia Gentry Entitled to Coat Armor, With Genealogical Notes of the Families. New York: The Genealogical Association, 1908. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Martin] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60; Vol. 77, No. 1 (Apr. 2001):138-147. FHL 973 D25aga v. 76
- [Parker] Russell, Donna Valley. "The Maternal Ancestry of Mary Bates, Wife of Lingan Wilson of Prince George's County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 68, No. 2 (Apr. 1993):72-76. FHL 973 D25aga v. 68
- [Skinner] See Storer.
- [Smith] Russell, Donna Valley. "Nathan and Thomas Smith of Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 65, No. 4 (Oct. 1990):230-232. Available at FHL.
- [Sprigg] Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person Virginia 1607-1624/5. 3 vols. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005. See Volume 2. FHL Book 975.5 H2j v. 2.
- [Storer] Trabue, James D. "Ann and Arthur Storer of Calvert County, Maryland, Friends of Sir Isaac Newton, With the Descendants of Clarke Skinner of Calvert County," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, Nos. 1-2 (Jan.-Apr. 2004):13-27. FHL 973 D25aga v. 79
- [Tasker] Kennedy, Mary Selden. Seldens of Virginia and Allied Families. New York: Frank Allaben Genealogical Co., c1911. Digital versions of Vol. 1 at Google Books; Internet Archive | Vol. 2 at FamilySearch Books Online;Internet Archive; FHL Book 929.273 Se48k.
- [Waring] Coddington, John Insley. "Ancestors and Siblings of Sampson Waring of Shrewsbury, Co. Salop, England, and Calvert County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 53, No. 4 (Oct. 1977):207-209. FHL 973 D25aga v. 53
- [Wilson] Rowland, Ralph Shearer and Star Wilson Rowland. Wilsons and Burchells and Related Families, 1608-1976. Fairfax, Va.: R. and S. Rowland, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 W691a.
The New Early Settlers of Maryland database is a great place to start searching for immigrants who had arrived in the colony by the 1680s. The database "comprises 34,326 entries from Gust Skordas' Early Settlers of Maryland and Carson Gibb's Supplement to the Early Settlers of Maryland." Available online, courtesy: Maryland State Archives.
Other Calvert County immigration resources include:
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Calvert County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Early deed books of Calvert County, Maryland were destroyed.
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the surviving Calvert County Deed Books (1812-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
The 1778 Oath of Fidelity lists for Calvert County have been published in:
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. Revolutionary Records of Maryland. Washington, D.C.: R.H. Darby Print., 1924. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Calvert County, p. 139. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Calvert County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Probate Records, Colonial Index, 1634-1777 online at Maryland State Archives website - free
- [1732-1733] "Calvert County, Maryland, Tax Lists, 1732-1733," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 30, No. 3 (Summer 1989):90-91; Vol. 30, No. 4 (Fall 1989):128-129; Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 1990):8-9; Vol. 31, No. 2 (Spring 1990):48-49. FHL US/CAN Book 975 B2m.
-  Calvert County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Calvert County Maryland Genealogy Websites
- Calvert County, MD History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- The Calvert County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- "Calvert Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Calvert County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Calvert County. (Mirror site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Calvert County.
Calvert County Maryland Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calvert, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content