Callahan County, Texas Genealogy
|Callahan County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 1, 1858|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county was named for James H. Callahan, military leader
Places / Localities
- Look-Up Volunteer for Callahan County~Callahan County, TXGenWeb
- Other Callahan County Resouces~Useful resources of Callahan County~Callahan County, TXGenWeb
- Cemeteries of Callahan County ~A list of County Cemeteries with burial listings~ Callahan County, TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Callahan County General Index of Deeds Callahan County Homepage
- "Early Days in Callahan County," 1966, by Brutus Clay Christman.
- "I Remember Callahan," 1986 Callahan County Historical Commission.
Order from: Georgia Yawn, Chairman
100 West 4th Street, Suite 100
Baird, Texas 79504
Name index to "I Remember Callahan" from the Callahan County Homepage.
- "Cottonwood's My Home: Recipes, Memories, History," 2007, Cottonwood Historical Association. Also, "Supplement to Cottonwood's My Home," and "Cottonwood's My Home: Vol. 2." Cottonwood History, Family Histories, Recipes, Old Photographs. Order from the Cottonwood Historical Association.
- "Crossties to Callahan: The Family of Alfred Dayton Williams," 1981, by J. D. Williams.
- "The Hills of Home," 1949 by John Berry. Story of the author's growing up in Clyde, Texas.
- "Nubbin Ridge: My Boyhood on a Texas Farm," 1960 by Lewis Nordyke. Story of Nordyke's growing up in the Cottonwood/Turkey Creek area in the 1910s-1920s.
- Texas Museums List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Cross Plains Veterans Memorial website. Listing of all of the veterans on the memorial, photographs of the stone tablets, photographs of many of the veterans.
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Callahan County Baird Star Newspaper online two weeks after publication date.
PO Box 979
117 So. 1st St.
Clyde, Texas 79510
Cross Plains Review
P O Box 519
116 S.E. 1st St.
Cross Plains, Texas 76443
Back Issues of the Cross Plains Review, 1911-1975, and the Baird-Callahan County Star, 1888-1935, are available for viewing on microfilm at the Cross Plains Library.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Vital Records of Callahan County ~Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce Records for Callahan County
- Callahan County Marriages Index 1877-1965 from the Callahan County Homepage
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
- Callahan County Historical Commission
- Cottonwood Historical Association
P. O. Box 704
Cross Plains, TX 76443
- Cross Plains Area Genealogy Society
- Callahan County Public Library & Pioneer Museum
Courthouse, 100 W 4th B1
Baird, TX 79504-5305
- Clyde Public Library
121 Oak St.
Clyde, TX 75910
- Cross Plains Public Library
149 N Main St.
P.O. Box 333
Cross Plains, TX 76443
Hours: 1-5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Callahan County TXGenWeb site
- Callahan County Homepage
- CottonwoodTexas.com History, genealogy and local information about the Cottonwood community; Surname list; Cottonwood Historical Association.
- Links for Callahan County - Linkpedium
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hidden Ancestors
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).