California in the Civil War
California supplied at least four cavalry units and nine infantry units to the Union Army (see below). Though these units stayed in the west, many California men went east and joined the Union Army there. California also sent gold east, replaced regular army forces stationed in the western territories, plus kept Sothern California and the New Mexico Territory from the Confederacy.
The Wikipedia article, California in the American Civil War, has more information about California's activities during the war.
Records and Resources
- The Family History Library has an index to compiled military service records of Union Army volunteers from California (films 881609-15). The compiled military service records and the pension records have not been microfilmed and are only available at the National Archives. The Family History Library has the pension index on microfilm.
- An exhaustive list of the Civil War volunteers is found in Richard H. Orton, Records of California Men in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1867 (Sacramento, California: State Office, 1890; Family History Library book 979.4 M2a; film 1000133 item 4; fiche 6051180). An index to this list is J. Carlyle Parker, A Personal Name Index to Orton's "Records of California Men in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1867" (Detroit, Michigan: Gale Research Company, 1978; FHL 979.4 M2a Index).
- Civil War Pension Index Cards - A free Internet index to pension applications of veterans who served in the US Army between 1861-1917 is available on FamilySearch Record Search. Each card gives the soldier’s name, application and certificate numbers, state of enlistment, and might include rank and death information. Other wars, of that time period, may be included.
California Military Units
- Mounted Detachment, California Infantry (3 months, 1861) (Union)
"Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit.
- 1st Battalion, California Native Cavalry (Union)
Organized at large in California March, 1863, to July, 1864.
Mustered out April 2, 1866.
- 1st Battalion Mountaineers, California Infantry (union)
Organized at large May 30, 1863, to March 16, 1864, for special service in Humboldt County. Attached to Humboldt District, Department of the Pacific.
Battalion mustered out June 14, 1865.
- 1st Regiment, California Cavalry (Union)
Organized as a battalion of 5 Companies (A through E) August 15 through October 31, 1861. 7 new Companies organized and mustered in 1863.
At Fort McDowell, February, 1866. Regiment mustered out March 6 to October 19, 1866.
- 1st Regiment, California Infantry(Union)
Organized at large August to October, 1861. Company "K" organized February 12, 1862.
Attached to Depts. of the Pacific and New Mexico. Duty in Districts of New Mexico, Arizona and Utah until October, 1866. Mustered out October 21, 1866.
- 2nd Regiment, California Cavalry (Union)
Organized at San Francisco September 5 to October 18, 1861.
On Powder River Expedition July to September and garrison duty in Utah until mustered out July 12, 1866.
- 2nd Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized at San Francisco and Carson City September 2, 1861, to December 30, 1862.
Regiment Mustered out July 2, 1866.
- 3rd Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized at Stockton and Benicia Barracks September 15 to December 3, 1861.
Duty at Camp Douglass, Camp Connor and in the District of Utah until July, 1866. Mustered out July 27, 1866.
- 4th Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized at Sacramento, Placerville and Auburn September to October, 1861.
Moved to Drum Barracks, and duty there until mustered out April 18, 1866.
- 5th Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized in California September to November, 1861.
Mustered out November 27 to December 14, 1864.
- 6th Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized at San Francisco October 21, 1862.
Regiment mustered out October 25 to December 20, 1865.
- 7th Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized at large October to December, 1864.
Regiment moved to District of Arizona June, 1865, and duty there, stationed at various posts, until June, 1866. Mustered out June 28, 1866.
- 8th Regiment, California Infantry (Union)
Organized by companies between November 17, 1864 and February 27, 1865.
The regiment mustered out October 24, 1865.
- Wikipedia contributors. California in the American Civil War, (accessed 27 May 2011).