California Archives and Libraries
NationalNational Archives Pacific Region (Riverside)
23123 Cojaico Road
Perris, CA 92570
- Has records of southern California, Arizona and Clark County, Nevada. California Indian enrollments, Asian immigrants, naturalizations, land records, Arizona taxes, sailors, all U.S. censuses, military post returns, Five Civilized Tribes, Revolutionary War, Civil War records, passenger arrival lists, Mexican and Canadian border crossings, passport applications. 
1000 Commodore Drive
San Bruno, CA 94066-2350
- Has records of California (north and central), Nevada (except Clark County), Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Caroline Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands, overseas Pacific naval bases, Asian-Pacific immigration, American Indians, and all U.S. censuses, Revolutionary War service records, bounty land warrants, and naturalizations, naturalization indexes for San Francisco, Honolulu, and Reno. 
University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Telephone: 510-642-6481 Reference desk
- Premier Western Americana, and Latin Americana collections, including Native Americans, Spanish encounter and colonial settlement, exploration of western America, maps and atlases, the Mexican War, westward migration, the Gold Rush, mining, land surveys, religious and Utopian communities, and ethnic communities. This library has more about western North America than any other site. 
- Nearby Doe Library has a large collection of newspapers on microfilm.
California State Library
914 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
P. O. Box 942837
Sacramento, CA 94237-0001
- California historical newspapers, largest genealogical index, statewide births and deaths, death index 1905-1995, marriage index 1949-1986, censuses, great registers, city directories, genealogical periodicals. A helpful guide to the California State Library is:
J. Paul Leonard Library, Rm. 610 (5th and 6th floors)
San Francisco State University
1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco 94132
Internet: Sutro Library
- The place in northern California for genealogy research. Has an excellent collection of censuses, books, and periodicals for most states, including Great Registers, city directories, DAR California records, California death index 1905-1995, and marriage index 1949-1986. 
- Censuses, California county records 1850-1987, mental health records, military records, prison records, Supreme and appealate court records, and school reports.
North Baker Research Library
678 Mission Street
San Francisco, California 94105
- California state, county, and local histories, early California immigrants, ethnic histories, Gold Rush, Mexican War, rare books, and women.
Society of California Pioneers Library
300 Fourth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107-1272
- Local histories, directories, diaries, papers, and California history to 1900.
State Lands Commission
100 Howe Avenue. Suite 100 South
Sacramento CA 95825-8202
Internet: California State Lands Commission
- Land surveys, titles, property boundaries, school lands, maps and plats, Mexican land and rancho grants.
California Genealogical Society and Library
2201 Broadway, Suite LL2
Oakland, CA 94612-3031
- Genealogy collections for California and whole USA, including San Francisco and northern California manuscripts.
Carlsbad City Library
1250 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92008
- One of the largest genealogy collections in southern California including programs by the North San Diego Genealogical Society. City directories, county histories, atlases, state censuses, and computer database subscriptions.
Fresno City and County Historical Society Archives
- Central Valley early farmers index, and biographies by appointment.
Huntington Beach Library
- Books, periodicals, and microfilms of the Orange County Genealogical Society.
Immigrant Genealogical Society Library
- Largest genealogical collection for German immigrants except for Salt Lake City.
Long Beach Public Library
- California, rancho and Mexican era history, computer indexes to statewide records, Great Registers, miners, and early settlers.
630 W. 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Internet: Genealogy at the Los Angeles Public Library
- The place for research in Southern California. Good genealogy collection and biographical indexes.
- One of the largest Family History Centers in America, including censuses, genealogies, and histories.
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
- California Indians, pre-1900 southern California newspapers, southern California and Los Angeles history, Spanish and Mexican period history, seafarers.
County of Los Angeles Public Library
- Californiana and Hispanic studies.
Napa Valley Genealogical and Historical Society Library
- Good genealogy collection with emphasis on New England.
4766 Lincoln Avenue
- Censuses, books, and genealogies.
Sons of the Revolution Library
- American military records, genealogies, local histories, and vital records for the entire USA and some for Canada and Britain.
Southern California Genealogical Society Library
417 Irving Drive
Burbank, CA. 91504
Telephone: (818) 843-7247 or (818) THE-SCGS
- Good collection for California and the rest of the USA.
Tuolumne County Genealogical Society Library
- In the Gold Rush district, includes the "Gone West Index" of early miners and California settlers.
The Online Archives of California provides free Internet access to detailed descriptions (collection guides) of primary resource collections maintained by more than 200 contributing institutions including libraries, special collections, archives, historical societies, and museums throughout California and collections maintained by the 10 University of California (UC) campuses. Many of the repositories listed above are included in the collections.
Two helpful guides to California archives and repositories are:
- Diane S. Nixon, Directory of Archival and Manuscript Repositories in California, 4th ed. ([Berkley, Calif.]: Society of California Archivists, 1996). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 979.4 J54n.
- Owen C. Coy, Guide to the County Archives of California (Sacramento, Calif.: California Printing Office, 1919). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Film 962744.
- Welcome to the National Archives at Riverside in National Archives (accessed 30 October 2013).
- Genealogy Research in Riverside in National Archives (accessed 30 October 2013).
- The National Archives at San Francisco in National Archives (accessed 29 October 2013).
- Genealogy Research in National Archives (accessed 29 October 2013).
- Collections in The Bancroft Library Internet site (accessed 26 October 2013).
- William Dollarhide and Ronald A. Bremer. America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1998), 19 and 21. At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Ref Book 973 J54d.
- California Genealogy Resources in California State Library (accessed 8 November 2013).
- Family History Resources in Collections - California State Archives (accessed 8 November 2013).
- Genealogy in City of Carlsbad, California (accessed 8 November 2013).