Difference between revisions of "Caldwell County, Missouri Genealogy"
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
==== Church ====
==== Church ====
===== Baptist =====
===== Baptist =====
"[http://www.carthage.lib.il.us/community/churches/primbap/FamHist-CaldwellMO.html Church and Family History Research Assistance for Caldwell County, Missouri]"
"[http://www.carthage.lib.il.us/community/churches/primbap/FamHist-CaldwellMO.html Church and Family History Research Assistance for Caldwell County, Missouri]" article is about the Primitive Baptist Log Creek Church. Includes member surnames.
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
Revision as of 02:18, 26 November 2012
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Caldwell County Courthouse
49 E Main Street; PO Box 67;
Kingston, MO 64650-0067
Recorder Office has marriage and land records; Clerk Circuit
Court has divorce records; Circuit Court division 2, has probate
records; Circuit Court, division 1, has court records
See an interactive map of Caldwell County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Brown Cemetery is a small old, but well kept cemetery in Kingston Township which is located about two miles south and 1 3/4 mile west of Kingston, Missouri. (The turn to head west had us on an unpaved road for awhile.)
Cox Cemetery is also known as Spring Valley Cemetery.It is located 3 miles north of Kingston to U Highway, 5 1/2 east to New York School (along this road you will pass Pleasant Ridge Cemetery and maybe even Pleasant Ridge Road), then south 2 1/4 miles, then turn right onto Pleasant Ridge (which is just before you would cross the railroad track). (Prior to your right turn onto Pleasant Ridge, if you look carefully through the trees on the right there is a small white sign with red letters saying "Cox Cemetery" and an arrow pointing to go right.) Then go about 1 mile. The cemetery will be on your right. 39 degrees 29 minutes 17 North 93 degrees 56 minutes 3 West. It is kept mowed.
Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, comp.. Cemetery Records of Breckenridge, Caldwell County, Missouri. Chillicothe, MO, USA: Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, c1965. Available on Ancestry.com.
For tips on accessing Caldwell County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
"Church and Family History Research Assistance for Caldwell County, Missouri" Primitive Baptist Library of Carthage, Illinois. First link is to article is about the Primitive Baptist Log Creek Church. Includes member surnames.
The Caldwell County Courthouse is located at 49 E. Main St., Kingston, Missouri. They have an bound volume containing an index to estate packets, and the staff will get individual estate packets for you to look at, after you locate the estate packet number in the index. They charge $1.00 for copies, but will let you use your flash-off digital camera. The index and associated estate packets are NOT on microfilm at the FHL. Found original tombstone orders complete with what was to be inscribed on the tombstone in the estate packet we looked at that was for an individual who died in 1858. Also original tax receipts and original newspaper clippings of public notice in these estate packets.
- Map of Caldwell County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Caldwell County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War service men from Caldwell County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Caldwell County.
- 6th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union) - Regimental roster
- 33rd Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Companies E, F, and G - Regimental roster
- 44th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Companies C, F, and H - Regimental roster
- Caldwell County, Missouri Home Guard (Union), - Regimental roster
- Hughes' Regiment, Missouri State Guard - Confederate, Company D, first known as the Caldwell Minute Men, then the Caldwell Light Infantry Company
- Vilmer, J. D., comp. The Civil War and Caldwell County, 1861-1865. (s.l.: Caldwell County Historical Society, c2011).
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Caldwell County communities.
- [1817-1868] Caldwell County (Missouri). Recorder's Office. Record of births, 1817-1868. ((Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2009) Microfilm of original records at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri. FHL catalog states: "Microfilm of original records at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri." FHL US/CAN Film 2438664 Item 1.
- [1885-1886] Births & Stillbirths - 1885/6 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1845-1871] Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, compiler. Marriage records of Caldwell County, Missouri, 1845-1871. FHL US/CAN Book 977.8185 V25e. Searchable on Ancestry.com.
- [1845-1872] Index to Marriage Records, Book A, 1845-1872 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Caldwell County Missouri Marriage Records
- [1860+] FHL has microfilm of original records at the Missouri State Archives in Jefferson City, Missouri and at the Caldwell County Courthouse in Kingston, Missouri. Records filmed include indexes, applications, license, colored, etc. See FHL catalog.
- [1872-1881] Marriage Records, Book B, 1872-1881. USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1896-1897] Marriage Records, Book F, 1896-1897 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- [1905-1907] Marriage Records, 1905-1907 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Caldwell County, Missouri Mortality Records of 1850 & 1860 USGenWeb Caldwell county, Missouri.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Caldwell County Historical Society, Inc.
89 West Main
P.O. Box 32
Kingston, Missouri 64650
Website in process
- Caldwell County historical records
- Historical artifacts
- 1831–1838 Mormon era cabin room
- Pre-1860 original home (museum)
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caldwell County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).