Calaveras County, California Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 01:10, 11 February 2012 by Ldrew (Added link to permanent Calaveras history page)
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
18 February 1850: Calaveras County was created as an original county. County seat: San Andreas 
Archives and and Libraries
Church History and Records
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
Military History and Records
For marriages from 1854-1877
Western States Marriage Index.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Calaveras County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).