Butte County, South Dakota Genealogy
Butte County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Butte County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 6, 1883|
|County Seat||Belle Fourche|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Butte County Courthouse
839 5th Avenue
Belle Fourche, SD 57717
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905,
burial records from 1930 and land records; County Treasurer
has marriage records from 1890; Clerk Court has divorce records
from 1890, probate records from 1884 and court records from 1892
- 1883--Butte County was created 6 May 1883 from Lawrence and Mandan Counties.
County seat: Belle Fourche 
1905, 1915, 1925, 1935, 1945 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Belle Fourche
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Butte County, South Dakota, p.623
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).