Butte County, California Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1850--Butte County was created 18 February 1850 as an original county. County seat: Oroville 
Indian Reservations or Rancherias
The Berry Creek Indian Rancheria is located in this county.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Liberty (Gridley)
The Paradise Genealogical Society has a large collection of obituaries and death notices from local Butte County newspapers, The majority are full obituaries but also include short obituaries and death notices. The collection includes approximately 85,800 records covering the years 1855-2008. Letters A through F are indexed and online. Copies of the obituaries can be ordered for $5.00.
- [http://www.genealogybuff.com/ca/butte/webbbs_config.pl Paradise, California Obituaries
Butte County, California] Free from GenealogyBuff.com. These obituaries were collected from local newspapers and funeral homes for genealogy research. The dates listed under the deceased's name represents the announcement date
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1883-1896, click here
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1902-1967, click here
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1963-1990, click here
- Gridley Herald
This collection was gleaned and indexed from Footnote.com. If you find possible family, the complete Obituary is available.
For marriages from 1851-1886 see Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
- Butte County [CAGenWeb]
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).