Burnet County, Texas Genealogy
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
The Burnet County Courthouse:
- ...is located on the Square at 220 S. Pierce.
- Hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call them at (512) 756-5420 for more information.
The county is known as "the Versatile County". (1940) In 1981, the county was named Bluebonnet Co-capital of Texas..
More history about the county can be found at:
The county was named for David Gouverneur Burnet (1788-1870). David G. Burnet, speculator, lawyer, and politician, was born on April 14, 1788, in Newark, New Jersey, the fourteenth child of Dr. William Burnet, and the third of his second wife, widow Gertrude Gouverneur Rutgers. David was orphaned at an early age and raised by his older half brothers.
Places / Localities
History of Towns and Cities from The Texas Handbook Online:
| Bertram | Bethel | Briggs | Burnet | Cedar Mill | Council Creek | Dobyville | Double Horn | Fairland | Granite Shoals | Hoover's Valley | Joppa | Lake Victor | Mahomet | Mormon Mill Colony | Naruna | Oakalla | Oatmeal | Pleasant Valley | Prairie Point | Providence | Sage | Shady Grove | Shovel Mountain | Smithwick | South Gabriel | Spicewood | Spring Creek | Strickling | Tobey | Watson
by Burnet County Historical Commission and Burnet County Heritage Society, Nortex Press, 1988. This book is still available for sale. For details on ordering the book, see Burnet TXGenWeb, Reference Books.
- Surveyed cemetery listings, some with photos, shared by researchers with Burnet TXGenWeb - Cemetery Transcriptions.
- Dillingham Cemetery, Briggs BillionGraves
- Burnet County History, Vol I and II , by Darrell Debo, Eakin Press, 1978. For details on ordering the books, see Burnet TXGenWeb, Reference Books.
- Stories, biographies, diary entries, letters, Bible pages, etc., shared by descendants of Burnet County pioneer families. From Burnet TXGenWeb. Stories From Our Past
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Numbered items below from Burnet County TXGenWeb:
- Index of Burnet Bulletin, 1898-1913, newspaper events; alphabetical by surname.
- Burnet Bulletin 1874-1880, indexed newspaper names and stories; alphabetical by surname.
- Burnet County, Texas Obituary Index -- 1876 - 1910
- Burnet Tidbits found in Austin Statesman newspaper, 1887 and 1888
- Index of historical articles in the Highlander newspaper; some Llano County articles; alphabetical by surname.
- Index of newspaper articles, ranging from 1905-1995; found in library's vertical files; alphabetical by surname.
- News Tidbits, from Marble Falls Messenger and Burnet Bulletin, 1874-1938; transcribed from microfilmed newspapers; arranged by publication date.
- News Tidbits from newspapers outside Burnet County; dates ranging from 1854-1912; arranged by date.
- Pleasant Turner vs. John Lauraine, Texas State Gazette, 1853; notice for Lauraine to appear in court.
Photo Album of Burnet County people, places, and things. Alphabetical. From Burnet TXGenWeb.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- Burnet County Genealogical Society
- Adam R. Johnson Chapter 2498, United Daughters of the Confederacy
- Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Burnet County TXGenWeb Site
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).