Burke County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Burke County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Burke County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 5, 1777|
|Address|| Burke County Courthouse|
111 E 6th Street
PO Box 89
Waynesboro, GA 30830
Burke County Website
- 1 Burke County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Burke County Georgia History
- 3 Burke County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Burke County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Burke County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Burke County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Burke County Georgia Genealogy References
Burke County Georgia Courthouse
Probate Court has birth and death records from 1927,
marriage and probate records from 1856
Burke County Georgia History
Local histories are available for Burke County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
1777--Burke County was created 5 February 1777 from St. George Parish. County seat: Waynesboro 
1825 and 1856 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Burke County Georgia Places/Localities
- Aiken County, South Carolina
- Allendale County, South Carolina
- Barnwell County, South Carolina
Burke County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Burke County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Georgia.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Burke County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Burke County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
1798 Burke County Slaveholders, First and Second Districts Georgia Pioneers
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1855-1871 - Burke County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1855-1871. Batch M712261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1876 - Burke County Marriage Book 3 Index 1872-1876. Batch M712262 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1878 - Burke County Marriage Index 1877-1878. Batch M712263 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1895 - Burke County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1877-1895. Batch M712265 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878-1879 - Burke County Marriage Index 1878-1879. Batch M712264 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1900 - Burke County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1889-1900. Batch M712266 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70, 1879-80 - Burke County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Burke County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Burke County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Burke County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
Burke County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Burke County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.