Burgh Parva, Norfolk Genealogy
Burgh Parva has been described as a "decayed parish". In the early 19th century it was said to total 400 acres, and belonged to Lord Hastings. But the civil parish has long been absorbed into Melton Constable. Burgh Parva today contains only the church and the Hall along with its farm buildings. St. Mary's Church has been in ruins since the 17th century, with only the tower just about intact today. Beside it stands the 'Tin Church' which was built early in the last century. The Hall is 17th-century, originally part of the Melton Constable estate and used to house younger members of the Astley family. The North Wing was added in 1820 and became a serarate residence in the 1990s.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.