Buckinghamshire, England Genealogy
"BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, or Bucks, an inland county; bounded on the NW and N by Northamptonshire; on the NE by Beds; on the E by Beds and Herts; on the SE by Middlesex; on the S and SW by Berks; and on the W by Oxfordshire...
"The county contains 199 parishes, parts of 6 other parishes, and 4 extra-parochial tracts...
"The county is governed by a lord-lieutenant, a high sheriff, about sixty deputy lieutenants, and about 220 magistrates. The assizes and the quarter sessions are held at Aylesbury... The county is in the diocese of Oxford; and constitutes an archdeaconry... The places of worship, in 1851, within the county proper, were 226 of the Church of England, 56 of Independents, 72 of Baptists, 8 of Quakers, 81 of Wesleyan Methodists, 36 of Primitive Methodists, 3 of Wesleyan Reformers, 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connection, 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 100 s.; 11 of isolated congregations, and 4 of Roman Catholics.
"Population in 1801 was 108,132; in 1821, 135,133; in 1841, 156,439; in 1861, 167,993..."
SOURCE: The above extract is taken from: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). For the full account, go online to Vision of Britain.
Parishes in Buckinghamshire.