Buckinghamshire, England Genealogy
"BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, or Bucks, an inland county; bounded on the NW and N by Northamptonshire; on the NE by Beds; on the E by Beds and Herts; on the SE by Middlesex; on the S and SW by Berks; and on the W by Oxfordshire...
"The county contains 199 parishes, parts of 6 other parishes, and 4 extra-parochial tracts; and is divided into the hundreds of Ashendon, Aylesbury, Buckingham, Burnham, Cottesloe, Desborough, Newport, and Stoke. The registration county... is divided into the districts of Amersham, Aylesbury, Buckingham, Eton, Newport-Pagnell, Winslow, and Wycombe. The boroughs are Aylesbury, Buckingham, Great Marlow, and High Wycombe. The market-towns are Amersham, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, Buckingham, Chesham, Colnbrook, Fenny-Stratford, Great Marlow, High Wycombe, Ivinghoe, Olney, Princes-Risborough, Slough, Stony Stratford, and Winslow...
"The county is governed by a lord-lieutenant, a high sheriff, about sixty deputy lieutenants, and about 220 magistrates. It is in the Home military district, and the Norfolk judicial circuit. The assizes and the quarter sessions are held at Aylesbury... The county is in the diocese of Oxford; and constitutes an archdeaconry... The places of worship, in 1851, within the county proper, were 226 of the Church of England, 56 of Independents, 72 of Baptists, 8 of Quakers, 81 of Wesleyan Methodists, 36 of Primitive Methodists, 3 of Wesleyan Reformers, 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connection, 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 100 s.; 11 of isolated congregations, and 4 of Roman Catholics. Population in 1801, 108,132; in 1821, 135,133; in 1841, 156,439; in 1861, 167,993..."
SOURCE: The above extract is taken from: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). For the full account, go online to Vision of Britain.