BUCKENHAM, NEW (St. Martin), a town and parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Attleburgh, and 96 (N. E. by N.) from London; containing 716 inhabitants. This place owes its origin to William D'Albini, Earl of Chichester, who, disliking the situation of a castle which had been built at Old Buckenham about the time of the Conquest, demolished that structure, and erected another here, in the reign of Henry II. The new castle was pleasantly situated on an eminence to the east of the former. A high bailiff is chosen annually at the "Portman" court, and a court baron and court leet are held by the proprietor of the manor. There are places of worship for Methodists. 
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1725-1812
| BRITISH Film |
1526817 Item 14
The collection images at FamilySearch Historical Records are incorrectly named at present Buckenham but awaiting correction to read Old Buckenham after engineering. They do not refer to Buckenham St Nicholas but Old Buckenham, Norfolk.
Civil Registration Districts
- Civil registration events post 1837 may be searched online Free BMD
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
England Jurisdictions 1851
•Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 415-420. Date accessed: Adapted. 05 February 2013.