Buchanan County, Virginia Genealogy
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
The county was named after President James Buchanan (1791-1868), who was in office at the time of the county's formation.
- Lost census: 1890
For a more detailed description, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Buchanan County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Buchanan County: 
- Tombstone Transcription Project Buchanan County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Weaver, Jeffrey C. The 1860 Agriculture Ceneus [sic] of Buchanan County, Virginia. Clintwood, Virginia: Mullins Printing, 1992. Available at FHL.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Buchanan County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than a dozen online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies treating multiple families in Buchanan County include:
- Atkins, Oscar T. Buchanan County, Virginia, Families 1860. Williamson, West Virginia: East Kentucky/Southern W.Va. Family Records, 1997. FHL Collection ["Taken in part from the federal census of Buchanan County, Virginia, for 1860, ... and from tax lists, from other census records, marriage records, and from the library and files of the compiler."--T.p.]
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Some Sandy Basin Characters. 1962; reprint, Clintwood, Va.: Hettie Sutherland, 1985. FHL Collection
- [Colley] Boardman, Elizabeth Joye Mabe. Thomas Colley Family: Russell County, Virginia; Washington County, Virginia; Dickenson County, Virginia; Buchanan County, Virginia; Smyth County, Virginia. [Palm Coast, Florida]: J. Boardman, 2001. FHL Collection; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Cox] Large, Alice Cox. John Dawson and Arminta Stacy Cox and Related Families: Virginia, Kentucky, Washington. Atascadero, California: A.C. Large, 1995. FHL Collection
- [Fuller] Wilcox, Roxie Hammill. Some Fullers of Buchanan and Dickenson Counties in Virginia: And Their Descendants. Portland, Oregon: R.H. Wilcox, 1977. FHL Collection
- [Fuller] Stanley, Gayle Fuller. Mountain Legacy: 200 Hundred Year History of One Family Line in Southwest Virginia. Clinchco, Virginia: G.F. Stanley, 1996. FHL Collection
- [Looney] Coler, Jack. Our Ratliff - Looney Heritage. Rogers, Arkansas: J. Coler, 1988. FHL Collection
- [Matney] Coler, Jack. Our Matney Heritage. [Rogers, Arkansas: J. Coler], 1988. FHL Collection
- [Owens] Owens, Jane E. Colton. Owens Family: and Related Families. San Diego, Calif.: J.B. Owens, 1989. FHL Collection
- [Stacy] See Cox.
- Schwab, W.G. The Forests of Buchanan County, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va., 1918. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Buchanan County, p. 65.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Buchanan County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1962):81-82. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
- Stewart, Jesse. Early Deaths, Buchanan County, Virginia, 1858-1896. [Grundy, Virginia: J. Stewart, 1990]. Available at FHL.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com