Brookings Oregon Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Brookings Oregon Family History Center is fully staffed with volunteers with various degrees of computer and research knowledge and a traveling geneologist from Austria. The Center is dedicated to providing education and support for the family history community in southern Curry County Oregon.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Addess: 770 Elk Drive, Brookings, Oregon 97415
- Entrance is on the north side. Ample parking on the north side of the building. Entrance to the parking lot is on the north side.
- Location on Google Map
Phone: (541) 469-5754
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1296, Brookings, OR 97415
- Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday: By Appointment Only
- Open other time by appointment
Director: Bobette Bonner
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 5 networked computer workstations with printer access
- Paper copier
- 2 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche readers
- 1 microfiche/film scanner
Main room has 5 computer stations for hands-on use by class members plus a computer.
Second room has a small library, a reader room with 2 Microfilm readers, and one microfishe reader, and a microfilm reader, and a copy machine.
Both classrooms have printer access for all stations.
Databases & Software
Genealogy database software (Ancestral Quest, Family Insight, Family Tree Maker, Legacy, PAF, RootsMagic)
Charting software (PAF Companion, Legacy Charting)
Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software such as Word, WordPerfect and OpenOffice (on selected machines)
Photo editing software (IrfanView, Adobe Photo Shop Elements, HP Photo Smart Essential, MGI Photo Suite, ACD Foto Slate and Canon Zoombrowser EX).
Pedigree Resource File (complete on server)
Free access to several subscription sites through the FamilySearch Portal such as Ancestry.com, British Newspapers, Find-My-Past (UK), Footnote, Genline (Swedish), Heritage Quest, World Vital Records and others.
Free internet access to the New England Historical and Genealogical Society (NEGHS) website
Research aids such as Animap and Parish Locator
Research databases such as Acadian-Cajun Family Trees, Austrailian Vital Records and Mormon Immigration Index.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
Volunteer at the Center
Adding details to a FHC page article.