Brooke County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Brooke County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
632 Main Street
Wellsburg, WV 26070
- County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
- Marriage Probate and Land Records from 1797
- Military Records from 1797
- Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Brooke County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Brooke County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
- Bethany College yearbooks, 1907-2007 - available online at the Internet Archive; not entirely all inclusive, but many volumes available.
- [Cheeks] Cheeks, Donald W. A Cheeks Family of the Upper Ohio Valley. 1994. FHL Book 929.273 C414c
- [Craft] Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Dornbläser] Greene, David L. "John Dornbläser of Brooke County, (West) Virginia: Recovering an Identity and Uncovering a Scandal," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 78, No. 1 (Jan. 1990):5-14. Digital version at National Genealogical Society website ($); FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 78 (1990).
- [Mendel] Barclay, Rachel E. "Valentine Mendel of Pennsylvania and West Virginia," The American Genealogist, Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul. 1969):158-161. FHL 973 D25aga v. 45
Cranmer, Gibson Lamb.History of the upper Ohio Valley: with family history and biographical sketches ; a statement of its resources, industrial growth and commercial advantages. Madison, Wisconsin: Brant & Fuller, c1890 Digital Version availble at familyhistoryarchives. Volume I , Volume II
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Brooke County on page 133.]
War of 1812
Brooke County men served in the 103rd Regiment.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Wellsburg silversmiths.]
- Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Brooke County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
Brooke County Genealogical Society Inc
P& O Box 144
Beech Bottom, WV 26030
Family History Centers
- Brooke County, WVGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Brooke County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 56. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.