Brongwyn, Cardiganshire Genealogy
Alternately spelled Bryn-Gwyn. "BRONGWYN (BRYN-GWYN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (N. N. W.) from Newcastle-Emlyn, on the road from Llanbedr, through Atpar, to Cardigan, containing 396 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which implies the White Mount, is pleasantly situated near the beautiful vale of Teivy, of which, in some places, it commands a fine prospect. Abercery, the property of T. Parry Thomas, Esq., is a neat modern villa, beautifully situated, and commanding one of the finest reaches of the Vale of Teivy, including the straggling town of Newcastle-Emlyn, with the venerable ruins of its ancient castle, and much richly varied scenery. The parish is enclosed, and the land in a good state of cultivation and tolerably productive. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with that of Bettws-Evan, to the vicarage of Penbryn in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Independents. Near the church is a very strong intrenchment, called the Gaer, a name common to fortifications of this description, of which there are many in this part of the principality. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 130.15." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833] For further information see Bron-Gwyn, Cardiganshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers