Brompton, Middlesex Genealogy
Return to the Middlesex Parishes page.
BROMPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Kensington, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 1 mile (S. W. by W.) from HydePark Corner; containing 9515 inhabitants. This place, which has been considerably extended by the erection of numerous houses and handsome ranges of buildings within the last few years, is lighted with gas, and supplied with water by the Chelsea Water-Works' Company: a large portion of the land in the vicinity is laid out in nursery-grounds for the supply of the metropolis. One of the county debt-courts established in 1847 is fixed at Brompton. A chapel of ease was erected in 1769; and a district church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, for Old and New Brompton, and Little Chelsea, was built in 1828, chiefly by a grant of £5000 from the Parliamentary Commissioners: it is a handsome structure, in the later style of English architecture, with a square embattled tower at the west end; and was greatly improved in 1842-3. The living is a vicarage; net income, £639; patron, the Bishop of London. There are a meeting-house for Independents; and a proprietary school established in 1828. The first stone of a building here for the Hospital for Consumption was laid by Prince Albert, in June, 1844. The structure is of red brick, relieved by copings and architectural ornaments of white sandstone, and in the Elizabethan style; the centre and right wing have been completed, at a cost of more than £13,000, exclusively of internal fittings-up. The arrangements for ventilating the building are exceedingly good.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 395-400. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50834 Date accessed: 05 April 2010.