Bromley St Leonard, Middlesex Genealogy
'BROMLEY-ST.-LEONARD, a parish in Poplar district, Middlesex; it lay 3.75 miles northeast St. Paul Cathedral, London. Within St Leonard's boundary were the (attached) chapels of St. Michael (built by 1868), St. Gabriel, and St. Andrew, both of which were built by the year 1869. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist church.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Wilson, John Marius. Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Publ. Edinburgh, A Fullarton and Co. 1870. View at VisionofBritain.org
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary, Bromley St Leonard in Tower Hamlets Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bromley St Leonard St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bromley St Leonard St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Bromley St Leonard St Mary in Tower Hamlets Borough. Partially indexed.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' British Origins, accessed 12 March 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm