Breconshire, Wales Genealogy
Historic BreconshireRadnorshire, to the east by Herefordshire (in England), to the south-east by Monmouthshire and Glamorgan, and to the west by Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire.
The county was created following the Act of Union of 1535, between Wales and England.
The administrative county of Breconshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888. The county was governed by an elected county council, who took over the functions of the Quarter Sessions courts. The county town was Brecon (Welsh: Aberhonddu).
Chapman Code: BRE
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Breconshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. Most of Breconshire became part of the newly formed county of Powys although some communities in the south of the county became parts of the newly created counties of Mid Glamorgan, and Gwent.
The situation remained mainly unchanged following further local government reorganisation in 1994. However, small parts of the former county of Breconshire joined the newly created counties of Rhondda Cynon Taf and Monmouthshire.
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: an administrative subdivision of a county, usually a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union
See a list of the parishes in Breconshire with links to their pages.