Brazil Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Brazil Catholic Church Records .
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 Record Description
- 3 How to Use the Records
- 4 Known Issues with This Collection
- 5 Related Websites
- 6 Related Wiki Articles
- 7 Contributions to This Article
- 8 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Title in the Language of the Record
Registros Paroquiais da Igreja Católica em Brasil
The records of baptisms, marriages, and deaths or burials are bound in separate registers. Most records follow the same format; in earlier years, however, the records were written in narrative form and later in formatted records. Some of the older registers may appear to have some physical damage; therefore some data may have been lost or may be very difficult to read. However, in general they are in good condition to extract genealogical information.
For a list of localities currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Catholic Church records begun in Brazil with the arrival of the ministers from Portugal. Parish priests performed the sacraments of baptisms and marriages and other holy sacraments in the parish under their jurisdiction. All the original parish records were kept in the parish archive and a duplicate copy was sent to the diocesan archive.
This collection of parish registers covers the years 1835-1966.
Catholic Church parish registers were created to record the church sacraments of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths, burials, and other ordinances.
Catholic Church parish records are a reliable source for doing genealogical research in all of Brazil.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Parishes throughout Brazil. Brazil Catholic Church Records. From dioceses and local parish archives throughout Brazil.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
The key genealogical facts found in most baptisms records are:
- Date of baptism (Select image to enlarge)
- Name of child
- Place of birth
- Date of birth
- Parents' names
- Godparents' names
The key genealogical facts found in most marriage records are:
- Date of marriage (Select image to enlarge)
- Place of marriage
- Witnesses’ names
- Names of groom and bride
- Groom and bride’s marital status
- Groom’s age
- Groom’s legitimacy
- Groom’s mother
- Bride’s age
- Residence of bride’s parents
The key genealogical facts found in most death records are:
- Date of death (Select image to enlarge)
- Place of death
- Name of deceased
- Deceased marital status and spouse’s name
- Deceased legitimacy
- Father’s name
- Deceased age
- Burial place
How to Use the Records
The Catholic Church parish records are an excellent source for genealogical research in Brazil. These may also be the only available records before the implementation of the civil registration in about 1888. These records may include other family information that will help in the research for other generations. In order to find an entry in this collection, it is necessary to know first the place where the ancestors lived, the year, and his/her name.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Known Issues Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
If you would like to see more citations of the Brazil Catholic Church Records, please follow these two links:
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Luz (Luz, Minas Gerais). Registros paroquiais, 1835-1966.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Campanha (Campanha, Minas Gerais). Registros paroquiais, 1763-1980.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Divinópolis (Divinópolis, Minas Gerais). Registros paroquiais, 1793-1975.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Oliveira (Oliveira, Minas Gerais). Registros paroquiais, 1800-1984.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Amargosa (Amargosa, Bahia). Registros paroquiais, 1805-1950.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Apucaraná (Apucaraná, Paraná). Registros paroquiais, 1942-1991.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Palmares (Palmares, Pernambuco). Registros paroquiais, 1786-1969.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Estância (Estância, Sergipe). Registros paroquiais, 1790-1980.
- Igreja Católica. Arquidiocese de Aparecida (Aparecida, São Paulo). Registros paroquiais, 1720-1980.
- Igreja Católica. Arquidiocese de Belém (Belém, Pará). Registros paroquiais, 1795-1955.
- Igreja Católica. Diocese de Propriá (Propriá, Sergipe). Registros paroquiais, 1840-1960.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from the record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you do not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation Example for a Record in This Collection
"Brazil, Catholic Church Records," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 3 May 2012), Bahia > Abrantes > Divino Espirito Santo > Batismos 1886, Abr-1897, Dez > Image 114 of 115, Joaquin Gonzaga, born 26 August 1897; citing Parishes throughout Brazil, Brazil Catholic Church Records, from dioceses and local parish archives throughout Brazil.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched in found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.