Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy
The Box Elder County, Utah genealogy guide to find parents, birth, marriage, death, and more since 1856, when the county was formed. This page lists online, published, and original resources, such as cemeteries, censuses, church, court, land, probate, and obituaries.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent counties|
|Box Elder County, Utah|
Location in the state of Utah
Location of Utah in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1856|
|County Seat||Brigham City|
|Address||County Courthouse<br>1 South Main St.<br>Brigham City, UT 84302|
|Named for: the many box elder trees in the area, Latin: Acer_negundo|
- 1 Helpful Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Churches and Religious Groups
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Ethnic and Other Groups
- 2.10 Funeral Homes
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogy
- 2.13 History
- 2.14 Land
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Migration
- 2.17 Military
- 2.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.19 Newspapers
- 2.20 Obituaries
- 2.21 Officials and Employees
- 2.22 Periodicals
- 2.23 Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
- 2.24 Probate
- 2.25 Public Records
- 2.26 Resource Repositories
- 2.27 Taxation
- 2.28 Vital Records
- 2.29 Voting Registers
- 3 Towns and Communities
- 4 References
County Court House
Box Elder County Courthouse
1 South Main Street
Brigham City, Utah 84302
County Clerk has birth and death records 1898-1905, marriage records from 1887, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1856.
|Before the county was created—and perhaps until the newly-formed county was fully operational—search records of the parent counties.|
- Boundary changes timeline for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy from "UT: Index of Counties," Newberry Library's Utah Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
Neighboring CountiesBox Elder County, Utah Genealogy is surrounded by: Tooele | Davis | Weber | Cache | Idaho counties: Cassia | Oneida; Nevada county: Elko
The term "Bible records" refers to the practice of keeping family dates and events in a family Bible. This was a common practice in many European countries and carried over to America. Many of these family Bible records are still in existence and preserved by the descendants of the immigrants. In some cases these family Bibles have found their way into libraries and other repositories.
- History of Box Elder County 
- Box Elder County, Utah newspaper card index historical, biographical, vital records
- Biographies(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Business Records and Commerce
- Business records and commerce(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Cemetery records often reveal birth, death, relationship, military, and religious information. The spouse and children who died young are frequently buried nearby.
More than tombstone inscriptions, cemetery records include sextons (caretakers) records and interment (burial) records, each with slightly different information. See Utah Cemeteries.
in the County
Additional information on Box Elder County cemeteries
- List of Box Elder County, Utah Cemeteries that exist or in some cases no longer exist.
- The Garland, Utah Interment & Disinterment Registers are part of the FamilySearch Historical Record Collection: Utah, State Archives Records, 1848-2001.
- This register appears to have been started in 1908; but includes references to burials prior to 1908 that presumably came from tombstones standing in 1908.
- USGenWeb Archives Box Elder County, Utah provides names in Plymouth Cemetery and Woodmen of the World of Box Elder County.
The 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 U.S. federal population schedules of Box Elder County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Utah Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in national indexes, try checking local indexes. Created by experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide indexes. See Utah Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Censuses(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Churches and Religious Groups
- Church Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
Click a church unit name in the chart below for its history, boundaries, and availability of records, which are often in microfilm format
|Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy guide to history and records of LDS wards and branches|
Stakes and the areas they cover:
Places: Beaverdam · Bothwell · Brigham City · Cedar Creek · Corinne · Deweyville · Elwood · Fielding · Garland · Honeyville · Howell · Mantua · Park Valley · Perry · Plymouth · Promontory · Snowville · Tremonton · Washakie · Willard · Yost
Ethnic and Other Groups
NOTE: Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Wikipedia for Box Elder County.
Wiki articles describing online collection are found at:
For historical maps of Utah and Box Elder County, see:
Early migration routes to and from Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy for emigrant settlers included: :
Naturalization and Citizenship
Small town newspapers contain obituaries, birth or death notices, community news (such as the visit of someone's relatives), legal notices and provide historical content. See Utah newspapers for tips, resources, and details. Resources include:
Obituaries may mention birth, marriage, spouse, parents, and living family members. See Utah Obituaries for state level compendiums and United States Obituaries for tips and insights regarding this record type.
Obituaries for residents may be found in:
Officials and Employees
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
In Utah, such records may be difficult to find. Try records of the church they may have attended. Realize, however, that such records may have not been preserved, and would not be in the typical records of membership.
It is possible there were records kept by civilian authorities. Ask town or county officials and local librarians and the State Archives. Also try National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (online).
CourthousesAddress: 1 South Main St, Brigham City, UT 84302
Phone (Brigham City): 435-734-3300
Phone (Tremonton): 435-257-5810
Hours: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday
Template:RAOGKcourthouse Box Elder County Home Page History of the Box Elder County Courthouse
Family History Centers
Brigham City Museum
Bear River City DUP Museum
search parent counties
1856 - 1897
Wiki articles describing marriage a collection is found at:
Death Record Substitutes
Towns and Communities