Botetourt County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:13, 31 December 2010 by Murphynw (added Givens genealogy)
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers: From the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782, Covers Parts of Present-day Counties of Montgomery, Bath, Giles, Floyd, Alleghany, Roanoke, Craig and Monroe. Troutville, Va.: [Burton?, 1979?]. FHL Collection 6015637 - 6015638
- [Adams] Austin, J. William and Rebecca H.R. Austin. Related Families of Botetourt County, Virginia. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 2000. Available at FHL Collection; ▲ digital version Ancestry ($).
- [Amman] See Adams.
- [Austin] See Adams.
- [Beaver] Hoeman, Andree Sieverin and Beavers - Riddle Family Association. A Partial History of the Riddle - Beavers Families of Botetourt County, Virginia; Highland County, Ohio; Decatur and Page Counties, Iowa: Including Cook, Rader, Bender / Painter, Harshbarger, Ammen, Ranck and Other Related Families. West Des Moines, Iowa: Beavers - Riddle Family Association, 1981. FHL Collection
- [Beckner] Beckner, William Everett. The Beckners of Botetourt. Fort Thomas, Kentucky: W.E. Beckner, 1928. FHL Collection
- [Brugh] Jennings, Ruby Brugh, Vista Brugh Robinson, and Joy Jennings Nash. Brugh (Bruch, Brough) Family of Pennsylvania and Botetourt Co., Virginia: Descendents of Hermanus Bruch (Brugh), 1722-1794. MSS., FHL Collection
- [Cross] Cross, John Newton, Mary Thompson Cross Cole, and Sarah McLonie Conner. William Cross of Botetourt Co., Va., and His Descendants, 1733-1932: Also a Record of the Related Families of McCown, Gentry-Blythe, Cain- Robertson, Harris-Martin, and Conner, of Virginia, Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri. Columbia, Missouri: E.W. Stephens Publishing Co., 1932. FHL Collection
- [Eller] Eller, John C. Genealogy Problems Regarding Jacob and Magdalene Eller of Botetourt County, Virginia. 1994. FHL Collection
- [Fleming] Goodwin, Edmund P. Colonel William Fleming of Botetourt [Virginia], 1728-1795. Roanoke, Virginia: Progress Press, 1976. FHL Collection
- [Frantz] Frantz, Dore M. and Ilo Fisher. Burials, Frantz Family and Relatives--Extracts from the Dore Manfred Frantz Manuscript: Together with Some Frantz Immigrants Before 1776; Wills, Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Wills and Administrations, Botetourt County, Virginia. Springfield, Ohio: Friends of the Library Genealogical Research Group, Warder Public Library, 1984. FHL Collection
- [Givens] Givens, Dorothy Hall. A Givens--Hall Family History from Pre-revolutionary Times to 1970: Including Many Related Families Such as Alexander, Bowman, Black, Chapman, French, Green, Johnston, Phlegar, Ross, Snidow, Stafford, Welker and Others. Radford, Va.: Commonwealth Press, 1971. FHL Book 929.273 G449g
- [Goodwin] Goodwin, John S. The Goodwin Families in America. Whittet & Shepperson, 1897. 1969 reprint FHL Collection. 1990s supplement also available FHL Collection
- [Goodwin] "Appendix H: The Goodwins of Botetourt and Tazewell Counties, Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 2, Supplement (Oct. 1897):91-99. Available at JSTOR ($).
- [Goodwin] "APPENDIX F: The Goodwins of Botetourt and Tazewell Counties, Va," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 8, No. 2, Supplement (Oct. 1899):17-18. Available at JSTOR ($).
- [Goodwin] Bates, Edward Bryant. Brief History of the Goodwin Family of Augusta, Botetout and Tazewell and Tazewell Counties of Virginia. Bass Lake, California: E. Bates, [198-]. FHL Collection
- [Hansons] Hanson, Ray. Hansons-Hensons of Botetourt and Their Descendants. 1986. Available at FHL Collection
- [Hensons] See Hansons.
- [Johnston] Johnston, Charles. A Narrative of the Incidents Attending the Capture, Detention and Ransom of Charles Johnston of Botetourt Co., Va.: Who was Made Prisoner by the Indians on the River Ohio, in the Year 1790, Together with an Interesting Account of the Fate of His Companions, Five in Number, One of Whom Suffered at the Stake. To which is Added Sketches of Indian Character and Manners with Illustrative Anecdotes. New York: J. & J. Harper, 1827. FHL Collection
- [Kes(s)ler] Kessler, Morris S. Records of the Johannes Kes(s)ler Family of Botetourt County, Virginia. MSS., 1978, FHL Collection
- [Kes(s)ler] Kessler, Morris S. and A. Dean Kessler. Out from the Blue Ridge: A Genealogical History of the Kessler--Kesler Families of Botetourt County, Virginia. 2 vols. Champaign, Illinois: M.S. Kessler, 1984-1994. FHL Collection
- [Lee] Lee, Lena Louise Jones. Descendants of Zachariah Lee of Albemarle, Rockingham and Botetourt Counties and Catawba Valley, 1765-1838. MSS., 1988, available at FHL.
- [Little] Lytle, Leonard. The Descendants of John Little of Botetourt and Rockbridge Counties, Virginia: With Notes on Other Lines of Littles & Lytles that May Be Related. MSS., National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- [Looney] Crane, Madge Looney and Phillip L. Crane. Most Distinguished Characters of the American Frontier: Robert Looney (b 1692-1702 d 1770) of Augusta (now Botetourt) County, Virginia and Some of His Descendants with Histories of the Great Road, Looney's Ferry, Crow's Ferry, Anderson's Ferry, Boyd's Ferry and Beale's Bridge. 2 vols. Apollo, Pennsylvania: Closson Press, 1998-2008. Available at FHL.
- [McClure] McClure, Joseph W., George E. Honts, and Ellwyn Worley. Following the McClures - Donegal to Botetourt. Chester, Virginia: J.W. McClure, [199-?]. Available at FHL.
- [McNeil] McNeil, Don W. The Lineage of Joseph and John McNeil of Adams County, Ohio, Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and Botetourt County, Virginia: Including Neal McNeil, Grandfather, James McNeil, Father, Mary Anne McNeil, Mother, and Johnathan McNeil, Uncle and Archibald McNeil of Harrodsburg, Peggy McNeil (Archibald's Sister) of New Castle, Delaware, John Shelp of Harrodsburg, Ann Shelp (Step-sister of Joseph and John), and James Kelly of Harrodsburg. Honolulu, Hawaii: Valley Breeze Press, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Minnick] Minnick, Michiael Linden and Shirley Ann Driver Minnick. The Minnick Family of Botetourt County, Virginia and Henry County, Indiana. Middletown, Indiana : M.L. Minnick, 1992. Available at FHL; digital book at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Riddle] See Beaver.
- [Robertson] Major, Nettie Leitch. "Robertson Family of Mercer County, Kentucky," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 3 (July/September 1980):98-111. FHL Collection 976.9 B2kg v. 22 (1980)
- [Rowland] Petersen, Carol Rowland. Descendants of John Rowland, Son of William Rowland : (Botetourt Co., Va.). Belton, Missouri: C.R. Petersen, 1999. Available at FHL; digital book at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Smith] McNeil, Maynard W., Luther N. Byrd, and Ethel Simmons Pell. The Smith Family of Botetourt and Floyd Counties, Va. and Surrey and Stokes Counties, N.C.: Descendants of Absolem and Humphrey Smith. Washington, New Jersey: M.W. McNeil, 1990. Available at FHL.
- [Smith] Smith II, Tyson Douglas, The Direct Male Descendants of Jacob Smith and Mary Shockey Family using Y-DNA. Available for free at two locations sites.google.com/site/thesmithfamilycorp/home/smith-dna and www.scribd.com/doc/34297698/Jacob-Smith-1810-Census-Montgomery-County-Virginia
- [Stewart] Stewart, William C. "Mercantile Adventures in Early Virginia, John Stewart, Tailor of Augusta and Botetourt Counties," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1967):3-11; Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1967):61-66. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Stoner] Stoner, Vera Barnhart. The Family of Jacob Stoner II of Botetourt County, Virginia: With Historical and Genealogical Records, 1732-1965. Ladoga, Indiana: V.B. Stoner, 1965. Two copies available at FHL: here and here.
- [Stoner] Stoner, Norris Eugene. Our Stoner Family, 1732-1991: The Family of Jacob Stoner "II" (1781-1836) of Botetourt County, Virginia, and Some Other Descendants of His Grandfather Jacob Stoner "I" (1731/32-1804) of the Spring Garden Farm, Frederick County, Maryland, with Historical and Genealogical Records and Pictures. Tampa, Florida: N. E. Stoner, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Walker] Dolan, Charlou. Allied Family, Walker. C. Dolan, 1986. Available at FHL.
- [Worley] Dean, H. Clark. "Caleb Worley (say 1730-circa 1790) of Virginia and Kentucky, Grandson of Francis Worley of Pennsylvania," The American Genealogist, Vol. 70, No. 2 (Apr. 1995):75-81.
- [Wymer] Weimer, Robert E., Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, New Mexico), and Mary W. Dixon. The Weimer Family: As Known to 1974 [and Beyond]. Multi-volume. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1975-. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.