Boone County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Boone County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Boone County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1847|
|Address|| Boone County Courthouse|
200 State Street
Madison, WV 25130-1152
Boone County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Boone County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has Birth Marriage Death Records 1865
Probate and Land Records from 1865
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and Court Records
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Book C of Deed and Book A of Will records are missing.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|WVGenWeb Archives||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
Handley Funeral Home Inc.
3rd St. & Phipps Ave
Stevens Funeral Home
1 Official Plz
Armstrong Funeral Home Inc.
734 Boone St.
Valley Funeral Home Inc.
E Boone St.
For tips on accessing Boone County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Turner, David Anderson. Boone County West Virginia 1850 Census Annotated. 1999. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
West Virginia Archives
Boone County Genealogical Society. Boone County West Virginia History. Madison, West Virginia, Boone County Genealogical Society, Inc., 1990. 975.439 B724.
Casto, Mitch. Boone County West Virginia: A Chronological Bibliography. Madison, West Virginia, Boone-Madison Public Library, 1994. 975.439 C354.
Land and Property
- Maps of West Virginia (1617-1995)
- 1850 Map of Virginia and West Virginia
- Boone County West Virginia 1895
- Boone County, West Virginia map
- Map Showing Boone County, West Virginia
- Boone County West Virginia Topographic Maps
Go here for general Military Records of West Virginia
Regiments. Service men in Boone County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Boone County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 2nd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry) (Confederate). Company K.
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company F.
- - 22nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (1st Kanawha Regiment). Company K (Boone Company).
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 45th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company A.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Turner, Ronald Ray. 7th West Virginia Cavalry. Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989. Available online, courtesy: Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb. [Includes soldiers from Boone County.]
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
World War II
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books, 1756-1971 at FamilySearch — index and images
Boone County, West Virginia Will Books 1865 - 1951
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1864-1968 - free.
- 1854 - 1931 - Turner, Ronald Ray. Marriage Records of Boone County West Virginia 1854-1931. 1989. Available online at Prince William County Virginia website.
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Boone County West Virginia Marriages from Other Counties. 2007. Available online at Prince William County Virginia website.
Societies and Libraries
Boone County Genealogical Society, Inc.
P O Box 295
Madison, WV 25130
Family History Centers
- Boone County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Boone County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Sigfus Olafson
- Brief on Sigfus Olafson
- Boone County Coal Corporation
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Boone County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- Terry D. Lowry, 22nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 44.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.
- Jeffrey C. Weaver, 45th Battalion Virginia Infantry, Smith and Count's Battalions of Partisan Rangers (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 102.
- Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.