Difference between revisions of "Boone County, Missouri Genealogy"
(Added intro to church)
(Added Land Intro)
|Line 66:||Line 66:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
Revision as of 19:21, 6 June 2013
Guide to Boone County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Boone County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||November 16, 1820|
|Address|| Boone County Courthouse|
600 E Broadway
Columbia, MO 65201
Boone County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1810 
See an interactive map of Boone County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Columbia Cemetery, Columbia BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Boone County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
A History of Boone County, Missouri Written and comp. from the most authentic official and private sources; including a history of its townships, towns, and villages... (1882) is available online free from Google Books.
- Family Maps of Boone County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Boone County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Boone County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Boone County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Boone County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has Jefferson City newspapers and Moberly newspapers from the early 1900's covering local news that included residents from Boone County communities.
- Columbia Missouri Statesman, 1843-1886. Searchable online at the State Historical Society of Missouri’s Digital Collections as part of the Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers.
- 1821-1873 - Boone County Birth Index 1821-1873. Batch C514664 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1860 - Boone County Birth Index 1851-1860. Batch C514661 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1821-1872 - Boone County Marriage Books A and B Index 1821-1872. Batch M514661 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1882 - Boone County Marriage Index 1865-1882. Batch M514664 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1880 - Boone County Marriage Index 1872-1880. Batch M514662 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Boone County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M514663 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Columbia Missouri Statesman, 1843-1886. Searchable online at the State Historical Society of Missouri’s Digital Collections as part of the Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Boone fckLRCounty, Missouri. Page 397 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.