Bond County, Illinois Genealogy
|Bond County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 4, 1817|
|Illinois Regional Archives Depository, Illinois State Archives|
|Address|| Bond County Courthouse|
200 W. College Avenue
Greenville, Illinois 62246
Bond County Website
- 1 County Organization
- 2 Records and Resources
- 2.1 Bibles
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church History and Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Ethnic Research
- 2.8 Genealogy
- 2.9 History
- 2.10 Land and Property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Military
- 2.13 Military History and Records
- 2.14 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.15 Newspapers and Obituaries
- 2.16 Probate Records
- 2.17 Repositories
- 2.18 Social Groups Online
- 2.19 Societies
- 2.20 Taxation
- 2.21 Vital Records
- 3 Websites
- 4 References
Bond County's civil records start the following years:
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Bond County are kept, see the Bond County Courthouse page.
Bond County is named for Shadrach Bond, the first Governor of the State of Illinois.
See an interactive map of Bond County boundary changes.
Records and Resources
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Bond County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Bond Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Bond County on page 186.]
Church History and Records
- Justice of the Peace Dockets 1858 to 1961
Family History Library holdings
- FHL film 1316516 (first of 22) This record includes court records, guardianships, loose papers, and various probate related records. Many records in in these series were eith missing or not filmed.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Land and Property
BLM GLO Records. Search original land patents for Bond County from the Govenment Land Office (GLO) or Eastern States Office. Some searches include images of the original warrants. All search results include the patant details needed for requesting copies of the land entry files at the National Archives. The GLO is the custodian of millions of land title documents. The General Land Office Automated Records Project is responsible for making these important documents available to the public.
Land records that include Bond County at Ancestry.com $:
- "Illinois Public Land Purchase Records" This record extract includes over 538,000 land sales from the 19th Century. Each entry includes the purchaser's name, purchase date, number of acres, price per acre, and in some cases the purchaser's sex and residence.
- "U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796 to 1907:" Records of Illinois are among the 13 states included in this set. It includes images of the land patents which contain the information necessary for ordering the complete case files from the National Archives. This appears to be the same information that is online at the Federal Land Office site http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/.
- Sheldon, Theodore. Land registration in Illinois. Chicago: Callaghan & Co., 1901. Digital book. Expains the laws regarding land and the land systems used in Illinois. Includes court cases involving land issues. In addition to being on Ancestry, this book is available online at no cost at Internet Archives and Google Books.
FHL land records
- Bond County (Illinois). Recorder. Deed records, 1817-1921. FHL film 1315963 (first of 28)
- Family maps of Bond County, Illinois : with homesteads, roads, waterways, towns, cemeteries, railroads, and more, by Gregory A. Boyd. (Norman, Oklahoma : Arphax Pub. Co., c2007)FHL book 977.3873 E7bg This book identifies the early land owners of Bond County, placing them on township maps with other geographic and manmade landmarks.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Bond County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Bond County.
- - 35th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Newspapers and Obituaries
Online abstracts from of Record Books A to 1, 1821 to 1838. Includes appraisals, administrations, wills, guardianships, land sales, and other records associated with probate matters. Transcribed by Donna Walton in 2007.
- Probate Minutes 1877 to 1855
- Probate Records 1837 to 1849
Family History Library holdings
- Bond County (Illinois) County Court. Probate records 1817 to 1940 FHL film 1316516 (first of 22) This record includes court records, guardianships, administrators' bonds, loose papers, and various probate-related records. Many records in these series were either missing or not filmed. Not all types of records cover all years. Many volumes include an index.
The Family History Library has films of some guardianshipp records among the the probate records listed above with the probate records.
Some guardianships are listed in the Online Abstracts described under probate records.
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Adams County are kept, see the Bond County Courthouse page.
Family History Library
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 140
Springfield IL 62703-5407
Telephone: (217) 206-6520
Social Groups Online
Bond County (Illinois) County Court. Births, marriages, and deaths 1817-1927. FHL film 1317522 (first of 8)
- Birth Records 1877 to 1915
- Birth Records Index 1863 to 1915
- Delayed Birth Records Index 1863 to 1915
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763–1900 - An online searchable index, is an ongoing project of the Illinois State Archives and the Illinois State Genealogical Society The Bond County index includes 1817-1915.
- Marriage License Application 1891 to1916
- Marriage Licenses 1817 to 1915
- Mariage Records 1817 to 1915
- Marriage Record Index 1817-1915
Available through Ancestry.com:
- Bond county marriages in "Illinois Marriages 1790 to 1860"
- Bond County marriages in "Illinois Marriages to 1850"
- Bond County marriages in "Illinois Marriages 1851 to 1900"
- Bond County (Illinois) County Clerk. Marriage licenses 1817-1872 FHL film 688499 (first of 5)
- Bond County (Illinois) County lCerk. Bond County marriage licenses (adult and minor) & related material, 1873-1875, 1877-1886, 1890-1915. FHL film 1688489 (first of 9)
- Bond County, Illinois marriage records, 1817-1850, compiled by Robert E. and Phyllis J. Shelby. Kokamo, (Indiana: Shelby Pub., 1982). FHL book 977.3873 V2s
- Bond County, Illinois marriage records, 1851-1877, compiled by Evelyne McCracken. (Greenville, Illinois : Bond County Genealogical Society, c1984 ). FHL book 977.3873 V2m
- Bond County, Illinois marriage records, 1878-1899, compiled by Evelyne McCracken. (Greenville, Illinois : Bond County Genealogical Society, c1985 ). FHL book 977.3873 V2mb with supp.
- Bond County, Illinois marriage records, 1894-1915, compiled by Evelyne McCracken. (Greenville, Illinois : Bond County Genealogical Society, c1985 ).FHL book 977.3873 V2mba
Index of Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950 listings the death certificates filed with the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Death Records 1878 to 1915
- Death Records Index 1878 to 1915
- Bond County ILGenWeb (The USGenWeb Project). May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Bond County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Bond County Fact Sheet (Illinois State Archives)
- WorldCat 50140092, FHL Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Illinois Miscellaneous Genealogical Records: From Counties, Bond, Boone, Calhoun, Cook, Crawford, Du Page, Johnson, Knox, Lake, Will, Pope: Kentucky county, Mercer: Missouri county, Ralls. Evanston, Ill.: Illinois Society, D.A.R., 1946. Digital version at Ancestry ($).