From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 03:36, 23 September 2008 by Dsammy (Added contents)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- Bluffton Ohio was founded by European settlers in 1832 when they came upon the lush forest land in this northwest section of Ohio. America was the land of opportunity, and these settlers came looking for a promising future, the place they would call home. This area reminded them of their homeland, and they decided to establish a settlement.
- This settlement was located near the Riley Creek, which provided many opportunities for these hard-working pioneers. A grist mill was started as well as a general store and post office. As the farmers cleared away the forest , rich fertile soil was discovered and yielded abundant crops. As the village grew with business and industry, more people began to settle with their families in this community that finally became known as Bluffton, Ohio. (source:Village of Bluffton)
- Bluffton is a village based in Allen County with spillover in Hancock County, northeast of Lima.
- Home of Bluffton University, supported by the Mennonite Church USA, founded in 1899 as Central Mennonite University. It became Bluffton College in 1913. The change to university status was in 2004.
- Southwest: Beaverdam
- North: Pandora
- Northeast: Cordelia and Mount Airy
Family History Resources
Community Web Sites
Historical and Genealogical Societies
Histories, Biographies, And Genealogies
- Bluffton University
280 W College Ave
Bluffton, OH 45817
Telephone (419) 358-3251
Internet: Bluffton University Archives and Special Collections
Mennonite Historical Collections