From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:17, 28 March 2010 by Laraleepn (fixed portal link)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- Bluffton Ohio was founded by European settlers in 1832 when they came upon the lush forest land in this northwest section of Ohio. America was the land of opportunity, and these settlers came looking for a promising future, the place they would call home. This area reminded them of their homeland, and they decided to establish a settlement.
- This settlement was located near the Riley Creek, which provided many opportunities for these hard-working pioneers. A grist mill was started as well as a general store and post office. As the farmers cleared away the forest , rich fertile soil was discovered and yielded abundant crops. As the village grew with business and industry, more people began to settle with their families in this community that finally became known as Bluffton, Ohio. (source:Village of Bluffton)
- Bluffton is a village based in Allen County with spillover in Hancock County, northeast of Lima.
- Home of Bluffton University, supported by the Mennonite Church USA, founded in 1899 as Central Mennonite University. It became Bluffton College in 1913. The change to university status was in 2004.
- Southwest: Beaverdam
- North: Pandora
- Northeast: Cordelia and Mount Airy
- Maple Grove Cemetery Deed Records, 1899-1955
- St. Mary's Catholic
founded as a station prior to 1860.
1860, transferred to Findlay.
1865, status changed from station to mission.
In 1870-1871 and 1878-1879, served by Fostoria.
1912, became a mission of Columbus Grove.
1917, became a mission of St. Gerard Catholic Church in Lima.
1932, served by a chaplain from St. Rita Hospital in Lima.
1948, the care of parish returned to Columbus Grove.
1958, the care of parish transferred to Findlay and returned to Columbus Grove next year.
1967, parish church built and completed.
1968-1981, served by Lima.
1981, received its own first pastor, Father Paul Kwiatowski.
Records of earlier years may be found in these places.
- St. Mary's Catholic
Land and Property
Local Web Sites
280 W College Ave
Bluffton, OH 45817
Telephone (419) 358-3251
Internet: Bluffton University Archives and Special Collections
Mennonite Historical Collections