Blount County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Blount County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Blount County Courthouse
220 Second Avenue East,
Oneonta, AL 35121
County Archivist has probate records from 1824,
marriage, land and burial records from 1820.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records.
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Blount County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 499.
- Antioch Methodist Cemetery
- Center Hill Cemetery
- Clear Springs Cemetery
- Ebell Cemetery
- Huffsutler Cemetery
- Lee's Chapel Cemetery
- Marsh Cemetery
- Old Mount Moriah Cemetery
- Philadelphia Cemetery
- Pine Bluff Missionary Baptist Cemetery
- Pleasant Grove Cemetery
- Remlap Methodist Cemetery
- Sargent Cemetery
- Tidwell Cemetery
In the 1960s, volunteers from the Gadsden Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints transcribed gravestones from all 91-known Blount County cemeteries (approximately 14,000 names). The master surname index covering all three volumes appears in Volume 1 beginning on page 4.
Additional Blount County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 6 at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Blackwood Cemetery, Centre Methodist Church Cemetery, Ellison Cemetery, Harmony Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Mt. Ebell Cemetery, Mt. Joy Cemetery, and Pine Grove Cemetery.
For tips on accessing Blount County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Blount County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Blount County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.172 E7b.
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Blount County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 108.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Locust Fork Alabama Family History Center
- Locust Fork, Alabama
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Blount County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Blount County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 35.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).