Bland County, Virginia Genealogy
Bland County, Virginia genealogy and family history research page. Guide to Bland County (established 1861) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Bland County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Bland County, Virginia History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land and Property
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate Records
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 References
Bland County Courthouse
612 Main Street, Suite 104
Bland, VA 24315
Clerk Circuit court has marriage, probate and land records 1861
and divorce records from 1900
Bland County, Virginia History
Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Dorman, John Frederick. "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bland County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1961):77-78. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
For a more detailed list, including addresses and external links, see Bland County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bland County: 
For tips on accessing Bland County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Indexed images of Bland County, Virginia Chancery Records 1874-1928 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. The online indexes continues from 1928 through 1938, but at present does not include images. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
Land and Property
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bland County, p. 64.]
Bland County men most often served in regiments (and companies) from their home county. At times, however, individuals and small groups can be found serving in regiments from neighboring counties. Later in the war, Confederate units often reorganized.
- History of Bland County (Virginia).Radford, Virginia: Commonwealth Press, 1961, that includes names of units from this county and a roster of the men who served in these units on pages 259-277.975.5765 H2b Pages 275-276 lists very small groups of Bland County soldiers who served in other regiments.
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company F (Bland Rangers)
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate).
- - 45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (Sharpshooters).
- - 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (or K).
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Bland County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- 1890 - Smith, Denise A. 1890 Bland County, Virginia Property Tax Records. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2004. FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Indexes to Bland County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Bland County, Virginia Births: 1861-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Available at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Bland County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Bland Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bland County, Virginia. Page 711 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Bland County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bland_County, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com
- "Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- J.L. Scott, 45th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 58.
- James A. Davis, 51st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1984). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 9; A Guide to Virginia Military Organization 1861-1865, 287.