Blackfeet Indian Agency (Montana)
The Blackfeet Indian Agency, located in Browning, Montana is the administrative office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs on the Blackfeet Reservation.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
During Indian Census years:
- Blood (Kainah), Blackfeet (Siksika), and Piegan -- 1890-1896
- Blackfeet and Piegan -- 1897-1906
- Blackfeet (Siksika), Blood (Kainah), Piegan, and Rocky Boy's Band of Chippewa -- 1907-1913
- Blackfeet (Siksika) -- 1914-1938
The Blackfeet Agency was established in 1855 at Fort Benton, Montana. At its creation, it was under the Central Superintendency. It had jurisdiction over Blackfeet (Siksika), Piegan, Blood (Kainah), and Grosventre Indians.
- 1861Claimed by both the Central and the new Dakota Superintendency
- 1862 Assigned to Dakota Superintendency
- 1863 Assigned to the new Idaho Superintendency
- 1864 Assigned to the new Montana Superintendency
In 1869, a new Blackfeet Agency was built on the Teton River about 35 miles from Fort Shaw, Montana. In 1870, the Milk River (later Fort Peck) Agency was created for the Grosventre Indians. In 1876 the Agency was moved to Badger Creek and in 1879 to another location on Badger Creek.
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Blackfeet Agency, 1855-1869, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1660760).
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include:
- Vital records, including list of Indian lodges, ca. 1877-78
- Census records, 1895-1908
- Marriage records, 1894-1915
- "Registers of Indians by Families," 1901-04
- Records of births and deaths, 1902-17
- Family histories, 1908
- Census rolls and related records, 1891-1947
- Supplementary census rolls, 1923-42
- Census record cards, 1925- 51.
Many other historical records are also included in the agency records.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Blackfeet Agency, 1882-1899 are on rolls 2-3 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617686-1617687).
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Blackfeet Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Blackfeet Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 212, Blackfeet Agency, in Teton County, Montana.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Blackfeet Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 5-6, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm numbers 1724223-1724224. Reports for some years are missing.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1887, 1890-1891, and from 1894 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 3 thru 11. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 573849-573857). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.