Bismarck Indian School (North Dakota)
Bismarck Indian School was authorized in 1901 but not opened until 1908 as one of the non-reservation co-ed boarding schools. It was originally to be known as the Mandan Indian School. Bismarck Indian School closed for several months in 1918 and became an all-girls school in 1922. Enrollment ranged from 50 to 125 students per year until it was closed in 1937.
Title to the grounds were later transferred to the State of North Dakota in 1945 for use as a military reservation for the North Dakota National Guard. It is now called Fraine Barracks.
The records for this school are in the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Kansas City.
Microfilm copies of “Narrative and Statistical Reports” for Bismarck are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their film number 1724219.