Birmingham Alabama Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2789 Altadena Road, Birmingham, Alabama, 35243
- Corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road in the Church. Our door is nearest the Altadena Road entrance to parking.
Phone: (205) 967-7279
- Tuesday: 10am-4pm
- Wednesday: 10am-4pm and 6pm-8pm
- Some Saturdays: 10am-2pm
Thanksgiving: Closed 23 Nov 2011 through 28 Nov 2011
Christmas: Closed 17 Dec 2011 through 2 Jan 2012. Open 3 Jan 2012.
Calendar and Events
Find Your Family...additional time to use the center one Sunday per month.
28 August 2011 3pm-6pm
25 September 2011 3pm-6pm
23 October 2011 3pm-6pm
no dates for November and December
29 January 2012 3pm-6pm
Staff Training Meetings:
Fourth Sundays 2-3pm
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Alabama Death Records for years 1908 to 1963, complete. 1964-1974, various.
- Many microfilm for England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, South Africa
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers, microfilm readers, microfilm/fiche printer for paper or digital, fiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Alabama Genealogical Society
- BAAGSG (Meets on 2nd Sunday, 3rd Floor of Linn-Henley Building at Birmingham Public Library)
- Birmingham Public Library: features extensive collection for southern research
- Samford University: Outstanding seminars for genealogists, Has archives for Baptist Church
- Birmingham Southern University: Has Archives for Methodist Church
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)